Ultimate travel trailer internet build

I prefer to solder when I can rather than just use butt connectors or scotch-locks. Right now we are troubleshooting a power issue. Router and switch run fine off of the wall-wart 110v to 12v transformers but when I connect to RV 12v no power/low power. Extremely frustrating.

1 Like

Making the exterior connection for using starlink/shore WAN.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Starlink arrived

5 Likes

Is starlink not geofenced anymore?

1 Like

Pretty sure it still is, but there have been promises to remove geofencing.

2 Likes

If ur being deld hostage by a drug lord blink twice

1 Like

Yeah, we weren’t able to get service

Ok, finally tracked down the 12v power issue.

Symptoms:
All equipment powers on when plugged into 110v AC using wall-wart style transformers. When plugged into the 12v DC power on the RV none of the equipment powers on fully. Router will give red error LED and switch has no power.

So we spent the last two days trying to trouble shoot and found that network appliances powered on normally when connected to 12v DC sources that are not the RV. So we started to investigate the RV power. Turns out the inverter is dying. Was supplying 12v DC from 110v AC shore power but was dirty as hell. I couldn’t see the power fluctuations on the multi-meter but was not clean enough for the router and switch to function properly. In the course of investigating we also found that the charging circuit for the battery on the RV was reversed. This caused the polarity of the battery to be reversed and is most likely the cause for the inverter failure and a few other appliance issues the client was having.

Solution:
New battery for the trailer and re-wiring the charging circuit to correct polarity. Short-term fix for the inverter power delivery will be placing a small battery between the RV power and the network equipment to “clean” the power and supply consistent voltage.

2 Likes

Also, my Ethernet cable tester died so I have to buy a new one

Are you getting paid enough for this?

Probably not lol. Frankly at this point it is subsidizing buying tools and equipment. Plus I enjoy the experience and I can use it during interviews. “Problems solving” and all that.

2 Likes

Good attitude, at least. But damn if it doesn’t sound like the contract is “make everything work please”.

Isn’t that what most IT work is? I am sure that when I start working in a more corporate environment it will look significantly different.

1 Like

Corporate environments are bad in every field.

1 Like

Project is complete for now….

POE Injector was DOA so the customer ordered a new one. He will install it, I wired in everything so he just has to plug it in and go. Eventually wall mount a monitor under the cabinet and replace the cabinet entirely with a small wall mount half depth rack for all the networking gear + synology NAS.

6 Likes

Final Build Parts List:

4 Likes

Customer just sent me these from Montana:

1 Like

Beautiful Montana. 1 State north of best state.

Nice speeds, too- seems to be a good setup.

1 Like

Both the customer and I are very happy with how it turned out. I would recommend Peplink/Pepwave stuff after my experience now as it is a breeze to work with and has remote management features that are better than Unifi imo. I can log into the admin account from a online portal and see everything that is going on and make changes as needed. Maybe doesn’t do all the vlan/routing stuff that unifi does but for a mobile solution I am very happy with it. The only thing that is annoying is the price tag but you get what you pay for I guess.

2 Likes