Ultimate docking station software

The concept is to use a desktop as a docking station for a laptop, where the desktop would boot from the same drive (or a mirror of it) as the laptop.

I do not know how to manage this, especially considering anti-cheat and direct storage.

Implementations for consideration:

• Using the cloud to synchronize a VM image, only boot after completing the sync.

• Boot from network on the desktop/dock side and expose the image on the laptop side.

• Something else??

Why: a higher bandwidth (to the GPU), more dependable, and at a lower noise level than using thunderbolt 3+

Reactions, advice, and alternatives (software and concept) are welcome

Waiting for that sync before boot would kill me.

If you’re using Windows, I wouldn’t think that would work at all because drivers.

Maybe just install software on both machines and host a samba share from one of the other to sync up documents?

Synchronizing only the relevant data would indeed be the easier and more efficient solution, thank you

I frequently split my time across multiple computers while I’m working on a project. For any design software that isn’t locked into some cloud storage mess I would just save the project into onedrive and work out of there on whatever computer I’m working from. Even that, with all the networking delays, was a working solution for me. I imagine locally hosted storage would work just as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.