UK Use of a Unifi BackUp 5G (tested and results)

Hey all,

Just in case anyone was curious.

So I went with the cheapest eSIM provider I could find (Lyca something, never heard of them), and it worked! Oddly, it didn’t work when I entered the details onto the Unifi console (needed extra activation), so I tried it on a phone where it also didn’t work. Then, before giving up, I tried it on the Unifi Backup again and it worked!

I did find out that if you don’t get the right eSIM, it only uses 4G/LTE - which is what’s happened here. I might give it a go with EE some time, only £3.50 lost!

I won’t go into speed too much, but I got 40Mb which isn’t bad, though I can get around 60-70Mb directly from my phone using 5G.

1 Like

U5G only supports 5G SA or 5G RedCap (which is a 5G SA variant). So your provider and cell tower would have to support this. And it’s not made for speed.

But still, I have one, too. And it already helped me over a cable outage!

1 Like

Spot on, I read up on the SA/RedCap stuff, bit of a shame but I think some providers do support it.

Glad it helped you, I’m oddly looking forward to my next outage! You know there won’t be another for years for me now, way it goes! When I did test it with a cheap carrier, it was very good. Just need to create some rules about anything uploading to be paused during its use.