[UK] Fibre to the Ladyshed - Project Vera

Here is a write-up of a project I mentioned while watching @ChrisA’s amazing work on his new office building.

This one has garden aspects but is far simpler. This portion is intended to get basic services to the end of the garden, after which I can plan on adding weather sensors, relocate my old NAS (now an adhoc backup device) and similar fun stuff.

I hope this isn’t too wordy and that the thought process may be of interest.

Objectives

Provide 1) UK mains power and 2) internet connectivity to my wife’s Ladyshed (“Vera”).

Requirements

Considering only the networking side I had the following requirements:

• The network cable should be as future-proof as possible given our use case
  • If possible, 10 gigabit speeds should at least be possible in the future
  • The chosen solution should be financially agreeable to the House Comptroller aka my darling wife :slight_smile:
  • The network cable should not act as a lightning attractor
  • The network cable must be weather proof since we may not be burying it and we cannot guarantee that any conduit would remain dry
  • The network run must also include some form of metal jacketing for rodent protection (and for errant garden tools!)
  • The “Vera segment” should be placed on a separate router port for isolation
  • The chosen technology should support Ethernet for connectivity since I’m most familiar with this

Much Mulling

As I mulled these over (did I mention I first started jotting down notes a year prior?!) it became clear that it was going to be fibre at which point the question really became “Do I continue with some form of Multimode or go Singlemode?” .

Here are my final jottings taken directly from my notes as I meandered towards a solution. Yes, it takes me ages to buy anything expensive or complex.

* LC connectors (LC-UPC) 
* If Multi-Mode we need 50/125 
* ideally OM4 fibre for future proofing as OM3 is only slightly cheaper (if possible)
** OS2 would be even more future-proof but the SFP+ modules run hotter....
* Duplex fibres (2x LC connectors each end) 
* For safety at least “Low Smoke Zero Halogen” (LSZH), better is “Optical Fiber Nonconductive Plenum” (OFNP) to guard the indoor portions

With all that said: it is probably easiest to go for an MTP connector both ends and break that out as needed.

What was interesting for me is that singlemode SFP+ modules and DACs do not necessarily run hotter. I did not realise this for some time but my Observium install shows both optical transmit power and electrical power usage. When compared to the module spec sheet values they are low, likely because the house-internal fibre runs are relatively short. (I have fs.com SFP+ transceivers with Broadcom and Cisco EEPROM IDs).

That bit was an “aha” moment for me. Obviously I’m not running telecoms-style lengths of fibre so there’s no need for the laser to run at or near maximum, ergo there will be less power draw.

As an aside, a year ago I got a 1.5m (5") 10GbE DAC for testing . I was getting a couple of SFP+ cards from fleabay and was doing a fair amount of plug/test/unplug/etc. I was pleasantly surprised by how cool those ran.

Things start to take form

In the light of my future use case (where it would be unlikely that anything would be running at max capacity for extended periods of time) I felt that singlemode equipment would offer excellent future-proofing while remaining within financial and power budgets.

Similarly, since the MTP technology technology wasn’t that expensive an investment given the long-term nature of the install, I had a brainwave and decided on:

I chose

• 40 metre (circa 120’) which turned out to be far too much but oh well…
  • 12 fibres (6 pairs)
  • MTP-termination at both ends
  • Pulling eyes at both ends (about 50cm of strong mesh sheath ending in a plastic pulling loop)

The fibre ends would be terminated into MTP cassettes ; TWO types are required (A and AF) thus:

and

Considering the fibre spaghetti one sometimes sees these seemed to be very neat. Here’s a photo of one with a spirit level for scale:

It’s possible to get A-types and AF-types confused since the only indicator is at the rear:

The cassettes snap easily into wall mount enclosures. I ordered several enclosure types, one 19" rack-mount, one single-use for my office (that type lacks the side door protecting the ST patches) and two more which offer side-door protection to patch leads.

Patch leads were:

I had the electrician install a new double-gang socket above a cupboard where it would be convenient to run the fibre out of the house. This gave me a completely unused space to locate enclosure, cables, fibre, PSU’s etc.

Here is one double-gang enclosure affixed horizontally to the top of said cupboard.
I hope it is sensibly annotated, the logical flow diagram is:

LAN  <---ethernet--> Gbe_Transceiver <--OS2_patch_lead--> MTP cassette <--->OS2_to_Vera

The exit hole to the outside has yet to be plugged in this shot.

Regarding the transceivers, since I did not yet require 10GbE connectivity I found that I could procure GbE-only ones for one tenth the price. Again, given the use case and financials, I found this combo to be a good deal considering it included the SFP module (Amazon UK link, circa £39 / U$50)

I thought they look kind of cute - little handheld things :slight_smile:

One thing to be aware of with those types is that link state is NOT propagated. Fine for a simple run like this, not so good if complex services requiring hardware fail notification are running (BGP).

For comparison, a suitable fs.com 10GbE unit might be the following but at £190.80 (circa U$250) I could even afford to buy spare 1 GbE units until such time as I need the bandwidth:

Running the fibre was relatively easy. The pull loops are thin but strong enough and the MTP connector remains sheathed and protected throughout the run.

The one awkward area in my case was where the cable exited the house proper and I need to cross to the fence or garden.

Conveniently I had just cleared out rotten spacer boards between two concrete pads and it was possible to run it down that gap:

Inside Vera, a double-gand enclosure is mounted midway between window and floor height. Long story short: my wife can shove her favorite comfy chair up against the corner and won’t accidentally dislodge power sockets or enclosure:

As you can see the double-gang enclosure provides protection and space for the fibre cartridge, transceiver and OS2 patch lead. Either side or both can be folded open for easy access and the locks should suffice to keep out curious fingers!

The ethernet patch cord has been removed after successful testing but the plan is to use a Netgear N600 AP running OpenWRT to provide Wifi.

For now, this is a separate LAN, running off a different firewall interface but I do wonder whether I’m being too paranoid. I mean, who am I protecting against - certainly not nation states or multi-national corps!

And yes, given recent gales here, the outside hole HAS been plugged.

An internal run remains as does mounting the 19" rack enclosure. Which involves ethernet re-wiring … which needs doing but then really the rack could do with a re-jig and … we’ll see!

(Polite !) comments and critique always welcome :grin:

11 Likes

You’ve done a great job there I reckon, I do like the enclosure…may be I won’t make one out of wood :laughing:

I’ll be feeding my CAT cable soon, thought I’d install the backup network connection before doing the fibre run through the underground conduit. Mainly because it delays spending more money!

Really tidy though and well thought out, great job :clap:

2 Likes

not sure if I missed it but that fibre lead in needs to be protected in conduit, all you gotta do is hit it with a box or something and radius it to shit and you’ll have a real bad time considering all the slack is after the hole where it can kink

1 Like

Well the simple trick I’ve seen here in the states for hiding cables in the wall for a tv / media center is to run a pvc pipe in the wall. this way you can change out / add to the cables as needed / when needed without having to break open the walls to do so. same thing can be applied to the shed to the home. just add in a piece of nylon cord to act as a cable puller for future cables.

2 Likes

@tjw @thetazman correct and thankyou.

The lack of external protection to the fibre endges was my mistake: I did not specify this when the fibre got pulled along!

I need to put in some trunking in the house so while I’m attending to that I’ll add some external protection too. I’ll use that in preference to the black tubular conduit to provide a visual difference between power and data.

An aside, can I ask if anyone here in the UK has had Surge Protection Devices (SPDs) installed on their mains supply?

We asked for an electrical installation condition report (EICR) because we had encountered some dodgy wiring during recent refurbs.

Examples were poorly stripped or terminated connections (one of them having caused some charing to loft insulation), some dubious socket faceplates (easy to fix but did this indicate a systemic problem) and so on.

All was found to be well with the sole recommendation (EICR level C2) being that the short electrical “tails” fromour 100A house fuse (or fuze for our American cousins :grin: ) were of insufficient cross section. The recommendation was to go for an 80A fuse given that our power needs were not considered to require 100A.

Apart from that, the report actually had a typo where the person typing it up thought we were a commercial premise and that brought up the recommendation for an SPD. This lead to an interesting discussion about the UK’s power - we’re in Hampshire. I always thought UK mains power was relatively clean and stable (G7 nation, etc) and the electronics are behind APC line0-interactive UPS’s anyhows.

So long story short…I’m curious. Apparently newer UK installs not only use metal fuse boxes (“consumer units”), RCDO’s but SPDs are recommended?

cheers!

I’ll be honest: I just wanted it done ! Snce the enclosure was acceptable to my wife - they’re paintable! - it was best to get on with the solution and stay out of her Ladyshed as much as possible. :smiley:

Got your project open in a separate tab so I can keep tabs lol

2 Likes

This sounds a great idea, and also add a new line of equal length to the end when pulling a cable through, else the puller is just a one-use line :smiley:

3 Likes

I am not an electrician but I believe SPDs are being recommended as a future proofing measure for houses with a lot of sensitive electrical loads, such as electric car batteries, which are at risk from transient voltage spikes that could cause a fire.

I had one installed when I got solar panels and the rationale given was the risk of lightning strikes tracking down to the batteries. I’m sure they work but no way to test it!

If you are upgrading the CU to deal with the tails then it is probably worth adding one, if not then it won’t help.

Lady shed looks good, can’t wait to see the final setup. Good luck

So funny, I was going to mention about those. They are generally recommended and as you say, are standard installs for new consumer units. I have a new consumer unit for the office and have one, they’re very cheap and can normally be added to an existing (modern’ish) consumer unit.

You can also get SPD sockets too, for retro fit - though protection at the source is a smarter move.

metal CU’s have been standard for sometime, it is optional for retrofit though - a lot of people have been conned into upgrading when it’s not needed. Hope that helps!

@Airstripone @ChrisA thank-you both!

Both your reasoning ties in with what we thought. The chap who came out to quote did say our install was perfectly fine and that “he wasn’t going to con us by stating a metal CU was needed”. I’d researched this so was aware but nice to have someone honest.

I simply had not heard about SPD’s outside of industrial applications so TIL :grin:

EDIT: the question I forgot to ask because the puppy chose that moment to whine: are those things resettable in the same manner as circuit breakers or are they typically one-shot?

They are one shot cartridges I think. You replace them like old school fuses. Mine has a green plastic panel that will apparently go red when the thing is toast.

That said it is rated for some ridiculous voltage that you would only get if it was struck by lightning or similar so I doubt you would trust the thing after it has absorbed all that.

2 Likes

All correctamundo :+1: The first iterations didn’t have cartridges, the whole unit had to be replaced.

2 Likes

Cheers both !

here that’s a requirement and it may be in the UK as well

Ha ha, that post sums up this forum perfectly compared to the rest of the internet…

[Normie social media] “I have an opinion with no basis in fact and must post it to as many people as possible… Plus cats”

[L1t forum] “Here is a picture of me holding the exact thing we are talking about with expert understanding of the question. Only 3 people will read this post but I hope it is helpful… Also cats”

I love this forum :smile:

2 Likes

:blush: Yeah it’s a good place, and I’ve never seen any whackadoodle behaviour!

Inline with forum posting criteria:

2 Likes

It is indeed, unless it’s SWA (Armoured cable). Plastic or metal, depending on the environment.

1 Like

Oh yes, your feline companion testing the handrest for comfort. Excellent :smiley:

Or just chilling near the warm fan exhaust!

1 Like

The mains power lead pictured is SWA (Steel Wire Armoured) hence there was no need for that to be conduited.

I had this bit below typed up but thought it might be too boring but since the thougnts here mirrored my own I’ll add:

A local electrical company doing other works in the property was agreeable to co-running both fibre and electrical cables because - in no particular order -

• there was galvanic isolation of the fibre (and sheathing materials) from the electrical cable and enclosures at both ends;
  • a pure fibre cable has no issues with induced currents causing network noise
  • due to a possible short-term need to replace the fence duck-boards, ease-of-access and planted flower beds, burying both cables (with or without conduit) was not a viable option.

Most of my experience is indoor fibre anyways but the term “SWA” is easy to understand while "armored"could mean anything. I only figured out the fibre was in effect SWA-style armored by looking at the specs, comments and reviews. I felt there could be a tad more clarity there? Maybe in another decade once more people wire up their gardens :sunglasses:

1 Like