Ucav's homelab blog

Ended up getting this

2 Likes

Holy shit… Literally spent all day trying to set up vGPU on my proxmox machine and I feel like I missed something or am having a bad brain day. Still can’t get it to work. Tried passthough and vGPU and can’t get a vm to either start or I can get it to start but can’t get drivers to pick up the card.

3 Likes

Was messing around with passthrough in one of my VM’s and I needed to reboot the server. When it came back up my VM that runs all my docker containers somehow lost all of its data and now I have to rebuild all my docker containers I didn’t have backed up to my git server….

4 Likes

Alright, here we go!

Might have gone a bit overbord with the fans but damn is it running cool now. Used @Scepterus guide on native docker setup on TruNAS and switched from Proxmox to TruNAS. Going to set up docker containers today for Nextcloud and Jellyfin.

6 Likes

Officially in the “Forbidden Router” club now.

For some reason I restarted my r210ii pfSense box and it forgot it’s interface settings. Took the opportunity to set up a pfSense vm on the server and take the Dell out of service.

5 Likes

Never got mine to work, nor the NICs- I think my Mobo isn’t supported. Even did a debian install + all drivers called for then proxmox on top.

A club I want to join myself.

3 Likes

Was having too many issues with gpu passthrough in PVE so I switched to a bare metal trunas install and am going to try going the docker route.

2 Likes

What issues? Its not to bad.

1 Like

Not the physical passthrough but the Nvidia drivers. Just had a lot of issues and little gotchas that I got tired of trying to stamp out.

2 Likes

Hows does the tesla work? Kinda want to get one to be honest, mini one is pretty cute

1 Like

I’ll let tot know when I get it working lol

3 Likes

Potentiometer control harness for the fans. Wife approval rating made this necessary lol.

3 Likes

FINALLY!!! After a few days of troubleshooting and pulling what little hair I have left out hardware transcoding is working with the Tesla P4!

For the uninitiated, Trunas Scale ships with the nvidia drivers, but not CUDA. Which is a separate driver package when dealing with datacenter cards like Teslas. Just had to update the drivers with apt-get install cuda and started transcoding like a beast.

@mutation666 Now that it is working I am quite happy and would recommend it. for ~$100 it is so power efficient and small it is hard to beat.

4 Likes

Currently using Tubesync to rip all the L1T videos off of YT. @wendell if your channel ever gets deleted I gotchu fam.

Everything is going straight into a library on my Jellyfin container so I can easily view/reference at my leisure.

3 Likes

Ordered a replacement HDD for my failed disk in my server. It is larger capacity so I am hoping to slowly increase the pool size as drives get replaced. Also ordered some of these thin cables @wendell recommended in a video awhile ago to try and clean up the look of the server a bit.

1 Like

Replaced the bad HDD with a higher capacity. Currently resilvering. I am debating adding another 3 drives as I have a fair amount of unused space in the 4U case as it was made for a EATX mobo. Regardless it is nice to be back to no errors or alerts popping up all the time. The thin SATA cables are really nice and I would recommend them to anyone doing a build or just trying to clean up the look of their build.

1 Like

Resilvering successful.

5 Likes

Getting ready to move into a house! Will have more room for activities and a proper place for the server rack that isn’t my closet. Going to have a buddy of mine give me a hand disassembling my rack and moving the servers and networking gear this weekend.

6 Likes

Lol I love having my stuff in my basement. Steady temp year round and with fans I am never hot. I have 6 systems running down here 2 proxmox, 1 truenas and a few others. All are encoding av1. If you have a basement I highly recommend basement as the place to have your cabinet.

3 Likes

It will be going into the basement in the unfinished mechanical room so it should stay nice and cool all year round.

2 Likes