Ucav's homelab blog

Part of the reason I am phasing out my T320 and repurposing my desktop.

2 Likes

Dell T320 is officially decommissioned

Now just figuring out rhel and containers on my forbidden router to handle pihole and a few other things.

5 Likes

Anyone suggest a good tutorial or write up on pfSense HAProxy? I know that people are fans of hosting it in Linode and wireguard back to the LAN. Iā€™d rather not pay for a nanode instance and just use the built in PFSense utility.

1 Like

Got Nextcloud up and running behind HAProxy! Now I can put my wildcard cert to use and get all the things accessible from the public internet so I can start to wean myself off of public cloud providers.

3 Likes

Lawrence systems/tech is the only good one Iā€™ve found and it still kicks my ass.

But before I post this and 3 min after you ask:

You are a beast. HAproxy kicks my ass. I got it to work for me once when hosting a site, didnā€™t take notes, have no idea how I did it and when I tried to do the same for my vaultwarden I just gave up and did the reverse proxy thing on synology and port forwarded.

2 Likes

Ended up using like two different tutorials and the had to troubleshoot Nextcloud because it didnā€™t like being behind a reverse proxy.

5 Likes

Yeah, fuck nextcloud reverse proxy stuff.

3 Likes

Yeah, IDK why they decided to make the config.php stuff so obtuse. Like, why should I have to specify that it is OK to connect via ip address. If I ma try to connect I am trying to connect. Shouldnā€™t matter if it is IP address, DNS, or Reverse Proxy.

1 Like

This is an older security model for preventing attacks from a compromised box.

Iā€™m not sure that it holds much water these days because any attacker worth his salt would just spoof the headers.

2 Likes

Interesting. Nextcloud is the only application I have experience with that uses this.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen it in a bunch of applications. IIRC, Trilium does it as well.

2 Likes

First podman container up and running. PiHole. Learning containerization make grug head hurt.

3 Likes

The final form!

Need to keystone the patch cables and do some tidying up but I think this is it for awhile.

9 Likes

May have missed it butā€¦how are you cooling all that heat generating stuff?

2 Likes

Just the A/C in my apartment. The 4u case is just my desktop which is a Ryzen 3600x so not too much power draw there. Dell is a R210 ii which is a power efficient xenon. Maybe when I get brave enough Iā€™ll consolidate everything into the 4U ATX case but I just couldnā€™t bring myself to put the network appliances in the same host as the NAS and VMā€™s.

3 Likes

So youā€™re never closing that door?

1 Like

I usually leave it cracked. After getting rid of the T320 nothing there really makes much noise so acoustics arenā€™t an issue.

4 Likes

I have that same rack. :yay:

Is that the 15U version? It looks a bit taller than mine, but I canā€™t really tell.

2 Likes

24U. Been pretty happy with it so far. I got it second hand and got a deal on it so no complaints.

1 Like

Nice, yeah mine was a little wobbly before I started putting stuff in it, but it works, and didnā€™t break the bank.

1 Like