Ucav's homelab blog

Yeah, I am in their 1.2Gb plan

1 Like

neato. I wonder if spectrum will ever offer those kinds of speeds? I mean i am close. I have a gigabit down and 35 up. Often 40 up.

1 Like

Comcast/Xfinity also offers symmetrical 2Gb fiber but you pay over $200/month + $500 install fee.

1 Like

I am sure that is only viable in cities. I am in rural America. I am surprised they even offer a gigabit where I am. Either way it is enough for jellyfin/plex and next cloud.

1 Like

I checked the case on Sligers website and the gaps should be plenty as long as you have the 120mm fans in the second row running. Partial population might lead to some problems if there is no cover/shroud/airflow blocker for the empty bays. But as long as the drives donā€™t hit like 50C during a scrub/resilver, I wouldnā€™t worry too much.

1 Like

Yeah, I canā€™t justify more than what I have now. Honestly gig down is plenty it is the upload that annoys me. Iā€™d rather have symmetrical 500Mb tbh.

1 Like

same. Heck id like star link 100/100 but I am in the woods with no satellite reception.

1 Like

I do a lot of Starlink installations and on average I am seeing about 120/30

2 Likes

then not much better than spectrum cable. and cable would likely have a more reliable connection.

1 Like

Yeah, if you already have Cable Starlink isnā€™t much better.

1 Like

Every time I tell a sales rep sth like that, they always look at me as if I were dating their 12y old daughter. Symmetric WAN connectionā€¦I gave up on that a long time ago here in Germany. Multi-100ā‚¬ contract each month because those things are reserved for better people/business :frowning:

3 Likes

I literally got in a pointless argument with frontier. They claimed 4mbps fiber is better than 100+ of cable. I have cable of course. And I argued latency is not everything. Bandwidth is more so necessary. Either way after they tried talking me into getting a fiber I found out it was copper to the house. Issue is they really were pushing 4mbps is better than 100+. I actually have not seen less than 800mbps with spectrum gigabit down. And less than 35 up. Latency is really only important for games such as csgo. Even then cable latency is averaging 40ms.

1 Like

I think symmetrical up and down has to do with the idea of isps not liking you self hosting servers from your house. Otherwise you need a business account. It is technically against ToS to host a minecraft server or a jellyfin/plex instance without business class internet.

2 Likes

If the only valid metric is latency, I can see arguing about that. But there is no argument to be had when comparing those two bandwidth numbers lol. 100>4, as simple as that. :smiley:

\only because they missed the entire point of a decentralized internet while they still were selling overpriced phone calls and communicating via Telex. Itā€™s just bullshit market segmentation and anti-customer, ā€œbecause they canā€. I always wondered why we have anti-trust laws but every ISP and every new competitor joins this mess.
I got 1Gbit down and PAY 4ā‚¬ each month to get an upgrade from 25MBit to 50MBit up. Itā€™s AT&T/Deutsche Post all over again.

3 Likes

After I get the rack physical layout the way I want I am going to give the Sliger case a paint job.

1 Like

I have three laptops (likely about to be 4) just sitting around and Iā€™ve contemplated making them some sort of cluster.

I was trying to weight pros/cons
Pros:
Built in APC (battery)
Built in keeb and monitor in place of $$ KVM
Built for efficiency
Compact, stackable

Cons:
Not ECC (if that is a deal cutter or not)
Hard to change specs
Likely has driver issues with most hypervisors

What say you?

1 Like

Proxmox seemed to be fine on my Alienware. Other than if it has a dedicated graphics card I donā€™t think you will have too many issues.

2 Likes

Depends on the model. Memory and storage upgrades are common with some manufacturers. But if you have some decent external connectivity like 10Gbps USB or Thunderbolt, you can run a lot of stuff like 10Gbit NIC or 8 bay 3.5" enclosures. Or get a handful 1Gbit USB NICs and a hub and run pfSense off it. Problem is that this all gets very expensive and very messy (cabling and space) really quick.

Iā€™m pretty sure I could get Proxmox working on my old laptop, maybe even the new one. debian-based with 5.15 kernel isnā€™t too shabby. But getting a Thunderbolt or laptop dGPU passthrough going might be a challenge :slight_smile:

Having a second server running for backups and other small offloading stuff is a nice thing to have, without even talking about HA possibilities.

Iā€™ve always seen laptops as good servers just because of this. And if you keep them in your home, theyā€™re quiet and small.

2 Likes

yeah this has been an issue on a ā€œwhite boxā€ build of mine, mini-ITX. Even a debian first then proxmox repo added and installed build didnā€™t work right.

XCP-NG surprisingly is stable- not knocking XCP as quirky but that I expected its consumer hardware support to be less than proxmoxā€™s. But Iā€™m too green to know where to even begin on trying to get the Nvidia GPU seen in ā€˜pass throughā€™ and the cherry on top would be for the realtek wifi card as well (pass through to a kali VM for some deauth tests and stuff, saving me from having to boot a laptop).

The wifi card would be fun to have live constant monitoring in conjuction with my Unifi APā€™s logs. Iā€™ve already made a panel in my Splunk build to detect and alert suspected deauth attacks/deauth storms caused from trying to grab oneā€™s wifi handshake to brute force later (via unifi log ingest).

Edit- the onboard bluetooth would be fun too, that with wifi I could start logging interesting stuff- I live on a busy streetā€¦ just sayin.

1 Like

Jebus man, racks and rack mount stuff is a real bug we catch isnā€™t it? I shut all my stuff down due to the power bill.

1 Like