[Ubuntu Server 25.10] Services to disable for single, standalone home server use?

Hello,

This is related to my other post, here: [Ubuntu Server 25.10] Disabling Cloud-Init, Pollinate, LVM on a Raspberry Pi?

I was asking about specific services on a Pi, there, but I realized there’s a more general question: on a fresh, single/standalone Ubuntu Server install in a home/self-hosted environment, what default Ubuntu Server services can be turned off to save resources (both at idle and when activating themselves on timers)?

I realize there’s no right answer to this; I’m curious what y’all are doing to squeeze the most available RAM and CPU out of low resource systems. :slight_smile:

This is what I’ve already disabled or masked:

[ ] [x] 1. ModemManager (13780 kiB) (mask)
[ ] [x] 2. apport (crash reporter) (mask)
[ ] [x]    - apport-autoreport.path
[ ] [x]    - apport.service
[ ] [x]    - apport-forward.socket
[ ] [x]    - apport.autoreport.timer
[ ] [x] 3. fwupd (firmware updater) (mask)
[ ] [x]    - fwupd-refresh.timer
[ ] [x] 4. open-vm-tools.service (~ 76 MB?) (mask)
[ ] [c] 5. unattended-upgrades (28520 kiB) (mask)
           See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RJtKy37k4c
[ ] [x] 6. snapd (37892 kiB) (removed)
           See: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/ubuntu-server-25-10-safest-way-to-disable-remove-snapd-in-2026/247127
[] [x]  7. wpa_supplicant (5912 kiB) (mask)

Start off with a barebone image and add on top.
After that I trade some CPU cycles for RAM so ZRAM compression active + CPU overclock on Raspberry Pi.