[Ubuntu Server 25.10] Safest Way to Disable/Remove SnapD in 2026?

Hello, there.

I’ve got Ubuntu Server 25.10 running on a Raspberry Pi 5 with 2 GB. So, maximizing the amount of free RAM is important.

I have no need of the Snap Store on a system I intend to use as a centralized log server, so I’d like to get rid of. Especially since it does seem to be using at least 36.93 MB of RAM at idle.

These are the steps I’ve found, but I have no idea if this is actually correct for Ubuntu Server 25.10:

  1. List all the snaps installed: snap list
  2. Remove every installed snap: snap remove <package>
  3. Remove core snaps (in order, not all are present on fresh install):
    1. snap-store
    2. gtk-common-themes
    3. gnome-system-monitor
    4. gnome-3-34-1804
    5. gnome-3-28-1804
    6. core18
    7. snapd
  4. Unmount the snap mount points: umount /snap/core/{point} (Find list using df -h). Or: umount /var/snap
  5. Remove snapd: apt purge snapd
  6. Remove related directories (if present): ~/snap; /snap; /var/snap; /var/lib/snapd
  7. Prevent reinstallation
    1. Create /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref.
    2. Add content and apply:
      1. Package: snapd
        Pin: release a=*
        Pin-Priority: -10
      2. Run apt update.

Am I missing anything?

1 Like

Just curious: why not use Rasberry Pi OS? It seems like a capable tool for the job. TBH, I live in the RHEL/Arch/Fedora ecosystem, but I have a few machines outside of that depending on the use-case. All of my Pis run Rapsberry Pi OS. My System76 laptop: pop-os. My media workstation: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with VFIO to a Windows VM. Then I have an Ubuntu Server 24.04 VM on my RHEL server to host a docker daemon for Fogejo Actions (like Github Actions if you’re not familiar with Forgejo). I also use FreeBSD for a little HA KIOSK on an old Google Pixel Slate that I flashed with Coreboot, and Windows on my old laptop with a busted screen that I access via RDP. Oh and also I use a Macbook for its sweet sweet battery life (I even find that it complements my System76 laptop, which I keep as a remote workstation at my mom’s house).

1 Like