[Ubuntu/Pop!OS] ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR Thunderbolt 4 issue

Hi everyone,

Before I go on, my apologies about my first ever post being a call for assistance, I hope you may someday forgive me.

It appears that there’s a bit of an issue with support for the Thunderbolt 4 ports on this motherboard on the distributions I’ve tested, being:

• Pop!OS 21.04
  • Ubuntu 21.10

Lucky for me, I don’t yet have a crucial use-case for the Thunderbolt functionality of my board, so that helps.

However, it appears that simply having Thunderbolt support turned on in the UEFI caused an incredibly slow boot-time, except on Windows but I’m not stepping back into that abusive relationship.

I’ve been breaking my head over it ever since I bought this thing and only recently figured out that you can simply press F9 to open the search function in the UEFI, then look for ‘thunderbolt’ and disable Thunderbolt support, which seems to alleviate the issue but also completely disables the two Thunderbolt 4 ports on the board. They won’t even function as regular USB type C ports either (this does work when support is enabled, oddly enough).

Before I’d found this workaround, I had already checked the kernel logs for my system on both operating systems and the output is exactly the same.

When IOMMU is enabled, it spits out the following:

Nov 14 12:33:51 workstation kernel: thunderbolt 0000:06:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0010 address=0xcae5a500 flags=0x0020]
Nov 14 12:33:51 workstation kernel: thunderbolt 0000:06:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0010 address=0xcae5a600 flags=0x0020]
Nov 14 12:33:51 workstation kernel: thunderbolt 0000:06:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0010 address=0xcae5a700 flags=0x0020]
Nov 14 12:33:51 workstation kernel: thunderbolt 0000:06:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0010 address=0xcae5a800 flags=0x0020]
Nov 14 12:33:51 workstation kernel: thunderbolt 0000:06:00.0: failed to send driver ready to ICM
Nov 14 12:33:51 workstation kernel: thunderbolt: probe of 0000:06:00.0 failed with error -110

When IOMMU is disabled, only the last two lines remain.

Nov 23 16:49:46 workstation kernel: thunderbolt 0000:06:00.0: failed to send driver ready to ICM
Nov 23 16:49:46 workstation kernel: thunderbolt: probe of 0000:06:00.0 failed with error -110

On Pop!OS 21.04, I’m currently running kernel version 5.13.0-7620.

Though it’s not urgent for me personally (I might want to start using these Thunderbolt ports at some point), I’ve seen others post elsewhere about this exact same issue and had hoped that maybe someone here has pointers as to whether or not this could be resolved.

Let me know if there’s any other information you may require, and I shall provide!

Warm regards,

One thing you could try is to keep the controller powered. If there’s a setting to prevent the controller from sleeping, enable it.

Most issues are because the controller is sleeping.

If that doesn’t solve the issue, try changing the authorization level or enabling SVM.

1 Like

Hi there!

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll try and look into this this weekend and report back.

Sorry for bumping this old conversation but I just wanted to update this thread with information I’ve found with the same board and OS.

There is no driver support for Thunderbolt on Linux and Asus has no plans to provide drivers.

You got a lazy low pay offshore tech support answer because directly contacting ASUS support assumes you run Windows. They offer ZERO Linux support.

The drivers are in the kernel for Linux. It’s up to how the BIOS handles it so Linux can see it. You need to keep the controller powered through boot and there is a setting to do this in BIOS.

Thanks for that hint! Searched a lot but can’t find that option in UEFI. Do you have a hint where I can find it?

I hope that you don’t have the same issue as me on a ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR system.

Using Windows and Thunderbolt USB-C NVMe SSDs disconnected seemingly randomly. Tested multiple USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 cables, no change.

Both Thunderbolt 4 USB-C ports behaved the same.

The cause was bad soldering on the Thunderbolt ports or the controller. The slightest “tension” on cables led to the issues even though the cables were a-okay and the connectors had a tight fit in the ports.

I’ve been trying for a week, I found the problem guys Install a 3rd generation or higher ryzen processor on your motherboard Plug the dpi cable that comes out of the motherboard box into your video card and motherboard and make sure your bios version is 2403. There will be 2403 version, then you will see thunderbolt in the bios, install the thunderbolt drivers, then you can start using it :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.