Ubuntu nvme raid ... xiraid vs md for max IOPS?

Dear Forums,

Has anybody tried xinnor xiraid versus mdadm on ubuntu? E.g. similar to what they have in their own benchmark report? The Most Efficient RAID for NVMe | Blog | Xinnor

I’ve got 980 pros in mdadm raid on a threadripper system and was thinking about maybe trying xiraid, tho they appear to only offer free version for 4 drives (still not bad). It seems weird tho in that benchmark they’re like 9x faster than mdadm. If they were that good I’d think Wendell might already cover them? E.g. in a big optane RAID? :slight_smile:

Related: anybody get over 2M IOPS in mdadm?

FWIW here is an old thread where I had done some benchmarks in fio Threadripper Pro + Optane (Asus WRX80E) -- not getting full performance? - #10 by oarphoarph

XiRAID has been around a very long time, almost 15 years, but it has had to go through ownership/branding changes due to geopolitics.

Their claims are more or less legitimate, but I wouldn’t dare use it without a support contract because weird edge cases tend to crop up in it’s use that absolutely required vendor support since it isn’t clear what is going on under the hood.

I think of XiRAID as a more legitimate/trustworthy version of GRAID, both are doing some things with data that might seem risky but at least XiRAID support has always been able to solve problems when they occur.

wow 15 years!! thank you so much for the context, this is super helpful and would be very hard to find otherwise. it sounds like im better off with MD raid then. i might be able to tune my application to use multiple disks, which sounds like it could be a better path to achieving max IOPs versus thru a RAIDed filesystem / xiraid.