Ubuntu 18.04 on Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen 5 2500u

Hello ma dudes

Just got the Acer Nitro 5 and i want to install ubuntu on it and ive gotten no luck. Ubuntu will not boot. The error that i keep getting is WATCHDOG bug cpu hung up. attached an image of it. I have tried different releases of ubuntu 16.04, 17.04, 18.04 and suggested by Wendall on twitter 18.10 and i have added boot flags to grub like nomodeset and nouveau.modeset=0 and it wont work.

Fedora will boot but not pick up any trackpad drivers.

Any ideas or question please just let me know

Regards
-Jamie (AcidzDesigns)

1 Like

2 Likes

Check this thread:

1 Like

Those flags are still giving me the same issue :frowning:

You may need to turn off ACPI entirely. acpi=off or pci=noacpi as per here:

A Windows based BIOS update might be needed too.

i have already updated it to the latest bios as well

alright alright, i got into ubuntu with nomodeset and acpi=off

I’d try a distro with a newer kernel if you’re still having issues. I’m not sure as I don’t own that laptop though.

Tried a beta release of ubuntu, same issue

So everything works now? Or are there still things that don’t work?

just got purple screen

What kernel does the beta use? I know ryzen apus like the 2500u are having issues on everything short of 4.18.

Nevermind it’s 4.18. maybe try the 4.19 release candidate?

Ok i get the purple screen, stuff loads and then it kills power. no idea

1 Like

link?

To the kernel? You’d probably have to boot arch or something and pull down the release candidate to test. I’m not sure how to get it via Ubuntu.

This is the post talking about it

First time post here on this forum for me. Found this post and wanted to help out

Doing the grub edit from this blog post worked perfectly for me. Currently typing this from my Lubuntu 1804 install.

I had a succsess from this post here: Ryzen/Vega laptop PCIe Bus Error

Open terminal and write sudo nano /etc/default/grub and add processor.max_cstate=1 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line so it reads:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash processor.max_cstate=1"

Then don’t forget to update grub sudo update-grub.

That helped me on my Acer with Ryzen 5 2500U.

is there any update on working ubuntu with ryzen 2500u without the tweaks, i had to set “noacpi” which results in weird fan and processor behavior. Processsor is continuosly in full load and the ui experience is not very smooth.