Ubuntu 18.04 - General Discussion (second try)

not too sure on the details but ubuntu is a pro-zfs distro

maybe try that or mdadm instead if you need raid/CoW

So far 18.04 without BTRFS installed fine on anything I’ve tried, soooo…

Well, kubuntu that is.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/hIKsgjHZlHM?t=43s

From what I’ve been reading lately, 18.04 and BTRFS has had issues. I’ve run across multiple threads on multiple forums where BTRFS was the FS and people were having issues. I didn’t run into any fixes yet, but it would seem 18.04 and BTRFS don’t like each other.

this is just true in general

I honestly don’t know why so many people are white knighting BTRFS. I’ve been reading nothing but horror stories about it for the last year. Which is when it came up on my radar.

And with the exception of it running great on a few cases like the LinusTechTips videos, I’ve seen nothing but horror stories on video either.

Yet, every where I see people white knighting it like it’s gonna be the second coming of Christ.

from what i gather it’s just FSF zealotry,

ZFS works great but it isn’t GPL compatible and bcachefs isn’t backed by FD(dot)org

so btrfs must be the most stallman approved.

My whole family and a couple of friend runs Ubuntu Mate/Kubuntu. It’s up to me to install, support and fix problems, and basically 18.04 had zero problems. I set it up, installed som base applications and it’s been fine since.

Mate is the favorit for my family, and Martin Wimpress is from what I can tell from interviews/talks a genuinly nice person, so it fits well.

I myself love KDE and alternates between Kubuntu on work laptop but Arch at home pc.

1 Like

I’ve been running a BRTFS mirror since about when it became stable. Currently on Ubuntu 16.04.5 and will probably upgrade to 18.04 some time. The HWE kernel makes things pretty easy though. A big part that I really like with Ubuntu is the ease of upgrades, it has always been a pretty smooth experience for a long time now.

I think the problem people have with BTRFS is mainly that they try to do stuff that is unsupported, like raid5 etc. Been pretty clearly stated in the docs that it isn’t supported, so I have no clue why people insist on doing it.

“it works fine as long as you never use any of the advertised features”

On my ubuntu based installations i just use EXT4.
Because i think thats pretty much all you really need for an average home desktop machine.
Allthough filesystems like BTRFS, ZFS etc are definitelly great for certain use case scenario´s but still.

honestly, for the home user (or anyone really), ext4 + mdadm is better than btrfs in 102% ±2% of cases.

So far I have been liking the new 18.04, I actually prefer the way they have customized gnome vs the gnome from 16.04. One thing that had thrown me for a loop is they changed the way they handle networking in not only configuration but also operation. Now every so often the OS will request a new IP from the DHCP and it takes a few changes to stop that and / or set up a static IP.

I just got Ubuntu Mate back on my gaming/workstation at home. Can’t wait to try out Proton with it.

I just set static IP on my router for my mac address and leave it at that. I don’t like my IP shifting all over the place on my network, and the last time I tried to set up static IP on my machine, I ended up bricking the networking on my machine, and never figured out how to fix it. So I re-installed and just set up a static IP for it on my router.

1 Like

DHCP reservations are awesome, if you have the capability. x2 if you want certain devices to have dedicated IP addresses.

1 Like

Did you manually configure /etc/network/interfaces to get the static IP? I also had this happen to me on elementaryOS, when I did change my IP full CLI style (since that´s the only way I knew how to do it). It ended up being because the network manager of elementaryOS didn´t store it´s settings in there, but somewhere else. Once I deleted my previous config and used the GUI it worked (also never figured out where it put the settings).

Had the same happen to me on an old Ubuntu install after I changed it in “/etc/network/interfaces”, never bother to fix the gui as I preferred using the cli way.

Can’t do it that way anymore, Ubuntu switched to netplan, which is a total pain in the ass.

Nope. Didn’t even know that was a thing at the time. And what @Ruffalo said seems to be a good reason why. I just did it straight from the router. Most routers will let you set up a DHCP reservation in their tools. You just gotta research it. And finding out what your IP or Mac address isn’t that hard in Windows or Linux. Hell, you don’t even have to do it manually from the PC. Just unplug everything but your computer, and you’ll know exactly what it is. Then it’s easy to set up.

Or if you’re like me, I just looked to see what popped up when I connected my PC to the router, and set it up from that. I’m a noob at most Linux stuff, but reading manuals isn’t that hard to do, or googling. Or asking on these forums.