Ubuntu 18.04 - General Discussion (second try)

First link is the daemon documentation.

Thanks!

So I am running kubuntu now on a system that I want to use as daily driver / photo editing station / capture system. I haven’t installed much so far and I had to learn that the KDE discover application is not really stable. So installed synaptic but haven’t used it really so far, just doing stuff with apt.

[EDIT]Oh, muon looks interesting. Gonna give that a shot.[/EDIT]

Currently I have a problem with amdgpu-pro, during the install I get:

WARNING: amdgpu dkms failed for running kernel

I found this but I have all those packages installed already. So that doesn’t help.

I’m not even sure I need the pro driver but I wanted to give it a try before I really start using the system.
Kinda disappointed that I can’t now. Anyone else got this to work?

Oh my. I hope this thread is not an indication of the way the Level1 forum is going, or I’ll be moving on.

As to your question: I still find Ubuntu easily the best distro out there. I thank Canonical to keep one version of Ubuntu instead of a paid one and then a sort of open source derivative as do the others, and I don’t mind they require an account to get the exact same livepatching as their paid customers for free. I’m worried about the state of zfs though, wrt. what version upgrades will land in the LTS.

As to the “data collecting”: as long as people can’t do basic research I’m done discussing that. For those who hate: go install something else, it’s all good.

… that isn’t my question right now.

What flavour are you most interested in?

I have installed 18.04 on an SSD and put it in to a spare laptop that I have laying around as I want to get more hands on with Linux (been using various VM’s for a while e.g Mint) but really wanted it as a main OS, so I took the plunge with 18.04LTS. So far I like it, feels very responsive. However, last night I did have a slight issue with VirtualBox not running a VM, gave me a kernel error.

After a bit of googling it appears secure boot is an issue. Once I turned secure boot off it fired up straight away.

ubuntu on razer laptops = garbage… need to swap out for a thinkpad again

Awww man, I was hoping it would work okay… with Razer’s eGPU thing, was considering dropping a bunch of money on them… Glad I know better now!

thats what i currently have is the razer core && razerblade stealth and gaming on linux is a pain in the a**… much easier setup w/ desktop

** edit w/ arch & ubuntu

1 Like

I have heard Thinkpads work really well with Linux, I’ve used a Dell Inspiron, seems to be working well.

build quality is the reason im switching back. i have a dell & hp @ work. plus that keyboard!

Yeah, up to 2016 model thinkpads the drivers are usually in the repos of most major distros. Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, Manjaro, Mint, Gentoo, Fedora, SEL, RHEL… I could go on for a long time naming Distros it works with. Thinkpads are popular with developers. Haven’t worked on anything newer than 2016 so don’t know if they are supported like the older models.

We have a Thinkpad in work, and for the first time (Friday I think) I used it and I was very impressed with how sturdy it felt and the keyboard was great.

Is this disto F’d, I can’t get it installed without a grub install issue. I have tried installing ubuntu-gnome 17.04&16.04 to distro-upgrade but i get the same issue. Why did shuttleworth have to go and fuck gnome up too, Stay in yo lane, bitch.

It seems as if lots of people are having some sort of 18.04 install issues.

Could always open a ‘helpdesk’ thread here on the forum.

that’s just how ubuntu is

does anyone have a working 18.04 install? (BTRFS)

found your problem

1 Like

what’s up with that? do i install the minimal server version and install the gnome there. i was considering boxes as well.