Ubuntu 18.04 - General Discussion (second try)

It was a good move dropping unity like it was hot. How many people here looked forward to the whole unite under convergence?

KDE seems to chug along just fine with only using Xorg.

@noenken you could put a poll at the top asking if people will give this a try?

1 Like

Kubuntu is in fact in my downloads right now. I thought if I remove the DE as something to relearn, that will remove one big barrier for me to come to peace with it.

Yeah on nvidia. Runs great on amd. If nv would actually communicate then it’d be better. Oh well.

Try out some simpler DE’s like deepin. Pretty easy to get ahold of.

I am already using KDE on multiple machines.
I don’t have to look for anything, I know where everything is already.

And I know what options I have in terms of programs native to KDE.
That is another big bonus.

1 Like

I’b one to say that I’d rather hawe qt and gtk both work on the sabe syshem, rather than only one or the other. I don’t like the fan camps.

It’s not a fan thing. If I use KDE I don’t need Gparted because I already have the KDE partition thing. If I have a job that a non qt program can do better, I’ll go with that. I just happen to like a lot of the stuff KDE already comes with. Like ksysguard and spectacle.

K3B is boss. Way better than Brasero.

I just installed it in virtual box. Playing around now but everything seems as expected for Ubuntu. It seems to play well with virtualbox without guest additions installed yet. As far as normie distros go it feels pretty painless.

colour me dubious. enterprise are used to patching and reboot schedules. i’d suggest that end users are just as likely if not more to go into the ui to configure this. and besides, canonical could get the hardware info they need without needing to tie it to an account.

given canonical’s previous actions regarding integration of third party services that datamine you, and the fact that their business model is of limited ability to generate revenue (you dont need to pay for ubuntu), i would be a lot more sceptical that it is NOT for data collection purposes.

I’m not one of the RMS blind-followers. i think he’s a tool. but even a broken clock is right twice a day, and in the era of data collection being the new business model for half of the internet, i view ANY collection of any personally identifying information with skepticism.

that said, i do run ubuntu at work and will probably continue to do so for some time for the exact reasons @anon79053375 listed above. i have shit to do and ubuntu enables me to do it without fighting the OS as much as a lot of other distributions. some may have cool features, more speed, more leet factor or whatever. i dont care, i have a day job.

2 Likes

That’s what she said

I’m in the middle of severely increasing my security (encrypted the NAS and my Linux laptops, put TPM modules in the PCs so I can use Bitlocker on their Windows drives, etc). I was waiting for 18.04 to drop so I could wipe my current temporary Win7 install and set up the PC again from scratch.
Going to do some more testing inside Virtualbox, but so far it just doesn’t feel like something I’d use as a main OS. I may decide to wait for Mint 19 before putting Linux on the PCs again.

To be honest, i wouldn’t recommend running ANY LTS build that comes out for a few months.

16.04 isn’t broken yet and despite 18.04 being in beta for a while you just know that its had nowhere near the level of testing it will get now.

if you’re particularly concerned i’d hold off for a month or two. whether it is Ubuntu LTS, a new .0 release of FreeBSD, or whatever.

1 Like

I am amazed by Ubuntu 18.04. I don’t experience any of the crashing so far that used to experience with 16.04. and it was alot.

I also, have yet to experience any screen tearing at all. In 17.10 and 16.04 I experience a SHIT TON of screen tearing, even with the AMDGPU drivers. But with 18.04 I have not experience ANY. It’s an actual GODSEND that a Linux distro has solved it. Cause I had it on nearly ALL distros up till now.

And I like that I didn’t have to go through some convoluted romp through the setup of the driver, or edit any config files for the drivers for them to work. I mean, I am technically inclined enough to do it. I’m not afraid of the CLI. But it was a pain in the ass to get it to work, on top of it all.

I like my operating system to just work. And for the most part, Ubuntu does that for me. And MORE SO 18.04. It’s surpassed all of my expectations for now.

I’m warming up to the transition from Unity to Gnome. I didn’t really like the idea of Gnome, and it doesn’t really work with my work flow. But Ubuntu’s customization of it has really worked for me.

My only gripes I can foresee is the fact that I have to download the Gnome Tweaks tool to get to any of the MEANINGFUL options to customize my experience. Like with custom fonts, or icons of anything like that of he like. I’m used to having my window options on the left like Unity had them, and tiny little things like that. And to NOT be able to change those things out of the box are a bit stupid.

But I get that some of the features in the Tweak tool are more advanced funtions that only people who know what they’re doing should mess with. I just don’t see why Fonts, and Icon stuff are locked away in those areas. Cause you can change that stuff in Windows fairly easy. And that frustrates me.

In conclusion, so far I like 18.04. I’ve been a big proponent for Ubuntu since the beginning. Many good distros are BASED on it. So there has to be some great things behind it. And so far it’s suited me. I think more people should give it a fair shot.

It does unfortunately.

Well, the regular 18.04 runs okay-ish … but the MATE version is just unusable in Virtualbox.
80% of the time I can’t log in because the display crashes, it just shows a bar full off barely recognizable stretched-out MATE logos.

I can’t adjust the resolution because the display crashes. Installing the Virtualbox guest additions locks up the VM, etc etc.

I’m hoping that it’s a Virtualbox problem. Time to disconnect my secondary rig’s Windows SSD and put the 18.04 MATE on bare metal there. If that crashes too, I’m done with 18.04 for now.

You can get h.264 support, you just need to install the restricted extras package.

It’s even in the repos. So you just need to type

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

As for the thing about the USB stick… I dont know what’s going on there.

1 Like

Weird, I had exactly the opposite experience.

Seems identical to 17.10 to me. I already was on Xorg because Wayland (incredibly) doesn’t support any kind of remote desktop/VNC. I never used Unity as it is an abomination unto God, but had switched from XFCE to Gnome-shell with a bunch of addons giving it a normal taskbar awhile back. That all worked identically in 18.04. Which is, of course, a good thing, but it would be nice to see some features once in a while.

Oh, if you have a mac kernel 4.15 doesn’t work in Parallels. Bloodsucking bastards will want you to pay for an upgrade soon enough.