Ubuntu 18.04 - General Discussion (second try)

Sure, you can make anything work somehow but vlc exists and whatever media player you prefer, I bet you still have a vlc as a backup. So why not ship with that? And the USB stick resulted in an error message that simply said “can not be mounted because it is exfat”. Again, probably easily solvable. But … why?

It has been a while since I used Ubuntu. But during the install doesn’t the Ubuntu installer have a tic box that has the restricted extras installed during the install if ticked?

EDIT: Why yes it does. I am looking at the “11 Things To Do After Installing” post on omgubuntu. Boy that article has lots of quality content.

1 Like

Well, here’s my two cents.

I like it a lot better than the Xenial Xerxes or whatever that thing was named. I called it Ubuntu Vista. I did this setup a lot differently.

I did the minimal install and did nothing but flatpaks. The only four programs other than utilities that aren’t flatpaks are Firefox, Thunderbird, Shotwell, and Calibre. I’m not worried about future proofing any of these.

Wine and Playonlinux are completely broken on this system. I have an Intel GPU and Windows 10 is equally borked, It started with all the updates after meltdown and spectre. Trusty Tahr did fine on this computer. I have that version on another for games I can’t play on Windows. When, it reaches its end of life, I’ll just unplug it from the internet. I did the same thing with XP for awhile for the same reason. My games.

The desktop is responsive. Lagging in Gnome has always been my main complaint about this desktop. That seems to be fixed here, The launcher acts weird when you use the touchscreen. If you touch Firefox, it will continue to act funny until you reboot the computer.

For me the best feature was the minimal install. I was able to put whatever flatpaks I wanted on it so that I don’t have to upgrade till 2023. I hate upgrading. As long as my programs are being launched I’m happy. Bells and whistles are not a priority of mine.

1 Like

Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and Kubuntu 18.04 are the ones that i´m most interested in.
I will install one of those 2 as a dailly driver on my laptop most likelly.

I´m personally not a huge fan of the Mate desktop in general.
But the work that the developers of Ubuntu Mate have putting into the distribution,
really makes it one of the nicest Ubuntu flavours imo.

I also still like Xubuntu, but that will be a hard battle vs the new upcomming Linux Mint 19 XFCE.

1 Like

Can confirm this.

I’ve been toying with 18.04 on my laptop as well as my old Z77 rig most of the night, and IMO Ubuntu 18.04 is one big shitshow for now, both the regular version and the MATE one.

Wine flat-out doesn’t work even though the terminal confirms that it is completely installed. I dragged my WoW Vanilla install (which worked perfectly fine on Mint) onto the new installs and couldn’t even select Wine in the list of applications to open the .exe with. Manually creating a .desktop file (why does it have to be this hard in Gnome when there has been a GUI menu for it in MATE for years now?) and double-clicking that results in a “there was an error launching the application” popup.

Right-click on the laptop just doesn’t work, even with the gnome tweak tool, I have to tap with 2 fingers or have the bottom right area of the trackpad set to register any tap as a right-click.

All in all I’d consider Ubuntu 18.04 completely unusable for anyone who actually likes to use their machine. I’m done with it, going back to Mint for now.

Since KDE Neon has swapped to 18.04 yet. I will be installing Kubuntu 18.04 and swapping to Neon repos when the switch happens there is some neat stuff in the works for KDE 5.13.

Will report back after install.

1 Like

Installed working pretty well except of kmail being a crashy pile of junk. I do like the nested drag and drop.

.deb, flatpak and snaps could be better differentiated because it is a little confusing at the moment.

Hopefully neon will release their update sometime soon.

Btw. Pop_OS is also on 18.04 now.

Things wrong with 18.04:
Ubuntu installer no longer automatically makes a boot partition when manually partitioning
Netbeans won’t start
A lot of fonts are fucked. For example: DIscord
Guake taskbar icon is glitchy.

Had to downgrade sadly

So, did an upgrade from Kubuntu 16.04 to Kubuntu 18.04 on my work desktop.

So far, so good.

Nothing has really broken as far as I can see in the last couple of hours of using it.

I mostly using this thing as a virtualization platform (VMware Workstation), but haven’t noticed anything really strange yet. Am running “Ubuntu on Wayland” to see how i go at the moment.

Then again my applications are limited pretty much to VM workstation, GNS3, basic file management, Mozilla Firefox and text editors/terminal sessions.

The only error from 18.04 I’ve found, is that letting the computer sleep for any length of time completely breaks the OS. I had no controll, and it comes back to a very broken logon. I can click my name, but I can’t type. Mouse only works on half the screen. A forced reset from my reset switch is the only thing that fixed it. I’ve turned off sleeping on my motherboard now to prevent this.

I’ve submitted a complaint, and given them the specs of my machine.

Does Linux or Ubuntu log all errors? Cause I got a friend who’s more linux savy than me and I’d like to maybe send it to him. And if it doesn’t, why the hell not? Why doesn’t any OS log all errors. Yeah Windows tries, but doesn’t do a good enough job in my opinion. And I’ve never seen a log from a Mac. I’m hoping, with how logical Linux seems, that it maybe logs at least a great majority of errors it catches.

Have you looked in /var/log?
Also run dmesg

1 Like

I totally forgot about those! I’ve been learning so much about linux this past year, that I’ve forgotten some of what i’ve learned. It’s definitely been a fun ride though. I’ll look. Are these logs made by date? Or am I gonna have to look through every file?

Theres a date prefix, newest toward the end of file.

Log names like syslog are the most recent. Then syslog.1 is older but not yet archived. And finally syslog.#.gz are all the archived logs since the beginning of time.

Edit: dmesg is a log since last boot.

1 Like

Yeah, just checked every log, there’s nothing. A lot of them, even the ones from yesterday are blank. Look’s like Linux didn’t detect my freakish errors. Next time, if it happens again, I’m gonna record it. See if I can replicate the error.

Otherwise, I’m loving 18.04. Haven’t run into many problems, and the ones I do, ask me to report the problem. Being a good consumer of Linux, and Ubuntu, I want it to keep getting better so i’ve been reporting stuff all the time. Always do.

I don’t suppose anyone knows what the equivalent of iscsitarget is on 18.04?

Only problems i found with Ubuntu Mate 18.04 is that the Brisk menu,
crashes occasionally.
But i personally dont really care about that, since i use the Mint menu,
which is superior to Brisk imo.
Still the best thing would be a straight Whisker menu port to the Mate desktop.
Because the Whisker menu is still one of the best application launcher menu´s in Linux today.

Also slightlly offtopic, but confirmed by the Linux Mint team on their Blog.

That Linux Mint will not be shipping with the data report and collection,
that Ubuntu has implemented in their 18.04 releases.

2 Likes

How the hell do you configure ntp? I don’t want to use Ubuntus time servers.