Ubuntu 18.04 - General Discussion (second try)

That is all fine but it is offered during the “what’s new?” thing at first boot (that you can’t just click away) of the desktop edition. Right after that it asks you for participation in their system information data collection thing. And the default there is “yes, please”. I’m not saying it is windows levels of spyware or anything but in comparison to most other distros it is annoying that this exists.

Also I am in the process of kicking it in the bin already.
Among other things because the Ubuntu Software thing has nothing and is terrible.

I really want to look at ubuntu a bit more because it is the one distro that gets used by normies. But I will do that in a vm I guess.

So yeah, @Linux_Bum has a point.

Ubuntu server is actually really nice. Snaps and docker make devops really easy, and the livepatching is likewise awesome; that’s what I believe it is more geared towards. That said, I’m sure some workstations that run some critical software for a business that doesn’t have servers would find that feature useful, which is why they probably also offer it for their desktop OS.

5 Likes

I’m glad the system info reporting thing is opt out.
It lets Canonical get a better understanding of how people’s systems are put together, which will allow for better testing and QA.
If it was opt-in, the few who choose it would skew the results into irrelevance

1 Like

The biggest concern with any Ubuntu release is “does this one also break the WiFi “ anything else I can generally Google myself out of

1 Like

I see people singing praises to Ubuntu MATE 18.04. I’m not surprised.

I’ve been using it since early 2018 on two different laptops and I was very impressed with it.

The transition from Unity to Gnome was pretty minimal, and at first appearance the desktops were the same. My Dell Inspirion 3450 still had the weird issue that when I launch terminal at boot, plymouth.d crashes. This has happened since 14.04 with no fix in sight. I’ve filed the bug report, and it was marked as duplicate. I am subscribed to the main bug on the matter.

On my EliteBook 850 it really blew me away. With Fedora and Debian, the 850 had spotty boot times (30+ seconds, not a huge deal). Arch was a mess. Ubuntu 18.04 had about 10 seconds from power on to log in, and launching terminal, using WiFi (2.4 and 5Ghz), as well as all of my development and sysops tools worked beautifully.

Intellij, Sublime Text, Atom, PHPStorm, DataGrip, Wireshark, Google Chrome, FireFox, node.js v9, PHP v7.2, Vim with about 19 Plugins, Steam, Discord, Vagrant, VirtualBox, VMware Workstation, and countless other programs I threw on there with no problems. Shutdown and reboot never resulted in waiting for gdm or some other process to stop for ~ 2 minutes.

I don’t always use Ubuntu, but I love them for what they do: Ubuntu makes Linux accessible for people without endless hours to spend troubleshooting and people that just need to get work done. This attitude of Ubuntu is for newbies or “normies” is, quite honestly, an exaggeration bordering on a lie. Developers, security professionals, and systems engineers all use Ubuntu. Computer science majors, electrical engineering majors, and mathematics majors use Ubuntu. The auto shop I visit to get my tires rotated, my inspection done, and my oil change uses Ubuntu.

Also, I’m tired of hearing about spyware. Telemetry is not spyware. I’m not going to talk about Windows 10, because the irrational bias and hate does nothing but stir up conflict. I’m going to say what no one wants to. Richard Stallman, a burned out hack, made a stupid comment several years ago that Ubuntu is spyware, and that spread throughout the community by his rampant brain dead disciples. Since then a select few, a vocal minority if you will, has done everything they can to discredit Canonical and Ubuntu. Why? I can only guess that their elitism and ego is inciting fear that their precious Linux will be a common household occurrence. They won’t be the cool geek anymore because everyone will have a Linux OS on their laptop, tablet, or desktop.

Ubuntu partnered with Amazon for money. Guess what guys, this free system you all use, it costs money to make. Electric bills, hardware, uptime, it all costs money. So Canonical made the decision to go with a service that practically everyone uses, and the RMS and Lunderp crowd couldn’t handle it, so they screeched spyware. The same people that said you can look under the hood did the EXACT OPPOSITE and sat on their punk, fat asses and just screamed misinformation at anyone that would listen.

Knowing that there is distrust in the community, Canonical did the right thing and spoke openly about the opt-in data collection. Yet, still there is bullshit accusations of spyware and intrusions of privacy. They just want their system to be more accessible, but the Linux community doesn’t want that. The FSF doesn’t want that. They want drama, they want a divisive culture. Because if Linux is on every other shelf at Best Buy, MicroCenter, and Fry’s, they won’t have anything to bitch about. Well, they would, because the wrong distro would be on the market. Linux is free as in freedom! As long as you use the OS and DE I say! You’re free! Just listen to me and do what I say!

Fuck Stallman. He’s a washed up programmer that did some great things almost 40 years ago. My guess is he couldn’t hack it anymore, and declared himself a philosopher king before he got exposed as a fraud. Now he goes around and gives condescending lectures about how they used to do things in the 80s.

Great community guys. Stellar job. This attitude is the reason I will never feel home in an online Linux community. The people at local meetups don’t act like this. They don’t care what distro you’re using, what DE you’re on, or what you’re building software on. As long as you’re passionate about open source and want to have a coffee or a beer with them, they just sit and chill. You guys should really take note of that.

14 Likes

So your TL;DR is “REEEEE, I like Ubuntu!”

OK. I don’t.

Tried to play a video and Ubuntu said “Nope, that’s h.264 and I can’t. Click here to install stuff.”
Clicked on that and got the answer “couldn’t find the thing”.
Also tried to backup something on a USB stick. “Nope because exfat”

Then installed spotify from the software thing.
That worked but took over 10 minutes.
That took longer than building the thing from the AUR.

Then I wanted to try if ubuntu had the same issue with raven ridge that keeps crashing Manjaro. Couldn’t even find any GPU intensive thing, no unigine anything and when you search for radeon you get super tux racer … as the only result.

So, praise Ubuntu as much as you want. It’s not for me.

I agree with that actually, it is terrible for normies. I also couldn’t do Arch.
I didn’t even get through the install of Arch but Manjaro is damn close to perfect for me.

3 Likes

28 posts were split to a new topic: The void

Were you looking for the radeon display driver?

I believe I have found it online, from Ubuntu’s website.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Ok so the amazon thing is literally a search engine feature. If you’re spooped that systemd is spying on you for amazon open a terminal and look at journalctl and tell me any of that shit does anything for anyone that isn’t you. I’m surprised anyone believes that myth anymore.

Now, ubuntuone has existed at least since I started using ubuntu back in 2008. What it originally started out as was a remote support system. You could open a little chat or an email asd if you were a paid user for support you got a reply almost instantly. Free users had to wait a while. Later on they added nome cloud features, around the time system76 was making beansbooks I guess, and you had a storage solution for all your stuff, an apple-like contact list that was gpg encrypted and you had to unlock it when you pulled it down, and some other things that I don’t remember off hand. UbuntuOne is basically what made them money between home users and businesses alike. Now they have so many business contracts and hardware deals that they’re trying to find a new use for it.

So don’t ‘dammit this company’ canonical when you don’t even bother to google shit and just go whine on a forum. Its how a bunch of bullshit gets around about systemd being spyware and all that crap and that was the single most annoying thing to me 2 or 3 years ago.

3 Likes

@noenken thread has been cleaned up. Lets take it from the top, shall we?

3 Likes

Now as anmactual problem with 18.04… they removed wayland I hear.

;–; I like wayland y u do dat

Isn’t wayland still very unstable?

2 Likes

Sorry, accident. Please continue.

Depends on whom you ask

Not too many changes, it seems. Anyway some are probably waiting for the mint version of 18.04, would like to see it be released aswell.

It was a good move dropping unity like it was hot. How many people here looked forward to the whole unite under convergence?

KDE seems to chug along just fine with only using Xorg.

@noenken you could put a poll at the top asking if people will give this a try?

1 Like

Kubuntu is in fact in my downloads right now. I thought if I remove the DE as something to relearn, that will remove one big barrier for me to come to peace with it.