Return to Level1Techs.com

Ubuntu 17.04 -- VFIO PCIe Passthrough & Kernel Update (4.14-rc1)

vfio
passthrough

Gonna try it this weekend again, if its gonna go well, i will post updated tutorial (probably this one with some updates), wish me luck :smiley:

Just an FYI, on 18.04.1, I had to install the latest 4.18-rc8 kernel to get everything working correctly. I’d get issues with SEGFAULTS in libvirtd when using Virtual Machine Manager. So far, things have been good on that kernel. :slight_smile:

hmmm, could be why it was fucked up in Elementary OS… sadly, i cant test it this week, cuz moving stuff in my room, maybe on sunday if i get lucky :open_mouth:

just a quick question,

do I need dual GPU cards installed to passthrough? or can I passthrough a single card?

If i use dual cards, which would I passthrough if one is older then the other?

No and yes.
Technically you can pass-through a single GPU, but then you don’t have anything to display the host. You can run the host headless, and put a monitor on the GPU and it will display the guest only.

Depends on your needs. If you need the faster card on the VM, use the faster card, otherwise use the slower one. There’s no need to pass through a specific card.

thanks @mihawk90

I’ve just finished up setting up my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS machine with a Windows 10 Guest VM that uses Looking Glass, and I’ve written down in extreme detail all of the problems I ran into while attempting to do so, here:

Hopefully some of you will find this useful!

i pretty much rewrote and updated this tutorial (with a bit detailed guide in some parts) for Elementary OS 5.0, but i got stuck cuz my second GPU i passed is too old to initialize correctly :smiley: but ubuntu is able to re-init on boot, not windows tho, so i gotta get better gpu then update it and publish it on forums then