U.K. broadband providers

I’m looking at broadband providers for my move.

Anyone have reconditions or past experience?

I’m considering zen as they are one of the highest rated in terms of customer service https://www.zen.co.uk/

There’s also aaisp however there a bit more experience perhaps a little to much for me.

There’s the usual, Bt etc . But Woth mentioning I’m looking for internet, I’ve no interest in packages with tv etc.

I’d also considered EE as I can lower my phone contract as you get extra data but I’m not sure if I’d bother or not. No idea how they are for broadband.

Unfortunately no fttp for me as far as I can tell.

To be honest, you’ve already answered your own question, I’d look at your planned usage, are you just gaming, Netflix go for sky,plusnet or EE or are you planning something more geeky.

Edit: missed a sentence

Zen have been pretty solid for us in our current place. Just over a year, no significant downtime, but our estate is only like 20 years old, so fabric pretty new.

I’m with Virgin, customer service is crap but the internet connection is rock solid.

Pay £40 p/m for 200mb and I’m always getting at least advertised speed and it’s rare for the internet to go down, the few times it has in the past 7+ years it’s been back on within an hour or two.

Unless you live in an area with cable I would go with BT.

My reasoning, If you run into problems. the connection isn’t as fast as you would like, high ping or whatever. You moan to your ISP and they blame the last mile which is BT. BT blame the ISP, the ISP blames BT and you get caught in the middle with a crappy connection.

If you go with BT to provide the service this cuts out this whole blame game. Once your contract with BT has ended you can go off with whoever for whatever secret sauce they provide. Or just stick with BT cos it works and is nice and fast.

Not to thread jack but when do you think Starlink will be a viable broadband provider?

It’s not one I’ve heard of before.

You would think so, however BTs call centre isn’t the best. It’s not necessarily that their terrible… they’re just not great. And they can be very much a by the book outfit if you get an overseas centre.

The problem with that then is that they don’t have a lot of networks knowledge or loca knowledge. So they won’t go out of their way to push for issues to be solved.

Now this might change in the future. BT are planning to move all cal centres locally and in local areas (somewhat).

That still leave the issue of a good isp.

For adsl they’re technically all the same speed wises

I’ve ended up going with Zen. It’s the same price as BT and they guarantee no price increases. Additionally their customer service is supposed to be very good.

I’d have considere cable, but there isn’t any here.

2 Likes

Is Elon going to visit space (Again) and want to ensure WiFi was in place before going?

Its going to be a game changer- Facebook and Google were trying to get internet to the far reaches with solar powered planes and air balloons (respectively)- if for good or bad reasons is another topic.

There are so many areas, even my own in Los Angeles where there is NO competition. I look forward to this driving all prices down.

1 Like

cost of fiber runs

Those need to be done anyways, the US has badly aging infrastructure.

The issue that I take with it is this:

Space Junk.

Litter the sky with satellites and you’ll likely get some collisions.

Those collisions will lead to more debris, thus more collisions.

Eventually, we’ll have a functional exclusion grid surrounding the planet, unless we can figure out a way to clean that crap up.

I just don’t think putting more satellites up there without plans on how to take the old ones down is a super good idea.

Maybe daddy Elon can work on that as well.

Agreed, and they already had a near collision drama early into deployment.

That said, titans such as Google and Facebook could not get ISPs to ramp up, it takes a bold move like Elon’s. Gotta break an egg to make an omelette.

Extra genius on Elon’s part- make the space junk- make profit from the space junk, make more profit to remove space junk.