Twitter's started secretly banning whole networks?

I went to use Twitter earlier and was attempting to post and retweet things, but was getting an ambiguous “problem has occurred” message. Turns out, the CreateTweet and CreateRetweet endpoints are 404ing (likes, which amusingly are still called favorites in the requests, seem to still work):

This is from a corporate VPN, which is hosted in the “cloud” (Vultr). I tried to connect from other locations to see if this was just a regional breakage of some sort, but from my brief testing it turns out that it’s only happening from Vultr’s networks.

I haven’t tested other cloud ASNs (like on AWS) but maybe others can confirm whether or not Twitter’s started playing security theater by range banning whole networks, instead of actual bots? Bots would just use residential proxies to get around this ban anyway…

1 Like

I have encountered the same issue, and I am using Vultr’s network too.

1 Like

I have encountered the same issue since a week ago, but my VPN is on Aliyun, not Vultr.

1 Like

Two weeks later and the WAF rules or whatever are still in place. Looks like they won’t be reverting this change.

Guess I’m going to have to setup wireguard on a residential botnet and use that whenever I need to actually post something. Imagine actually banning bots. /s

2 Likes

I encounter the same, and I’ve tried other small VPS providers including aliyun and racknerd, they had all been boomed… Really sucks

An update. Looks like they walked back on this one at some point, at the very least for my network (and probably others around it). Not sure when, but definitely within the last month or two.