TV Questions (Freesync, OLED, Android)

I am considering buying a new TV if I move this year, and I have some questions that maybe y’all can help out with. I would like to spend less than 2k EUR, have Android, OLED and Freesync, have it be 65+ inches and good up-scaling capabilities. I am in Germany and have an AMD graphics card. Probably will generally keep AMD because of there opensource support.

1. I don’t have much experience with better TVs, but OLED is the way to go right?

2. It seems my only options per AMDs site are OLED65GX, OLED65CX and OLED65BX. How is their OS? I host a Jellyfin server and wanted Android because of the app availability + probability of future support.

3. Any other recommendations? There seems to be a lot on the market and I am not sure what to be looking for. Perhaps I can find other panels that are nearly as good, or simply scrap the Android need because I will have a computer hooked up to it.

Thanks.

Turns out Jellyfish is supported on other TV OS platforms, and basically everyone is using their own OS except Sony. I assumed many were using Android TV, so I’ve got more to look into.

Having owned two generations of Vizio [CustomOs and Vizio Flavor of Android] and LG, I would recommend LG. The Vizio stuff is cheaper yes, but also in build quality and lack of support after the replacement product comes out in about two years. Plus they broke one of my TVs with a firmware upgrade and would not acknowledge the cock up and removed all of us from their forvm that reported the issue. (Turns our that they were spying on us and removing that in the firmware upgrade broke the TVs).

I am big fan of WebOS back from the Palm days and I must say that WebOS is the best experience that I have had on a “smartTV”. I don’t have OLED yet, but my next TV will be OLED or MicroLED (when affordable) and will be an LG set. The Sony OLED sets are comparable to LG and the previous models are heavily discounted. I used to own a Sony Plasma set. It was a shame that it could only do 720P.

GX (if you’re definitely wall mounting) or CX.

Forget about builtin apps. Chances are they won’t have access to HDR and fancy audio capabilities of the TV unless they’re from Netflix/Amazon/BigStreamingService… Regardless of the OS, and it’s very unlikely you’ll ever get a major update. (They want you to buy a new tv every 2-3 years – pointless).

If you don’t want to use the attached PC to play back HDR/HDR+/DV (because windows/linux/… drivers all still suck), consider getting an odroid n2+ with coreelec.

Otherwise, minidlna works fine if you don’t care for transcoding, and casting HDR via chromecast ultra is ok.

You, my friend are a person of culture!

LG has been consistently updating WebOS since 2016. Even the older models get security updates and feature improvements (and additions) at least twice a year.

But I really wish I could by a “dumb” TV and use the Odroid or old PC to drive all of the smart features, but unfortunately, that is near impossible and the cost of digital signage monitors are outrageously expensive compare to “smart” tvs.

Awesome, thanks for the response. I actually decided on some LG X TV yesterday after looking into it all.

I was looking at the BX here in Germany, but after revisiting it seems the CX is worth the extra 700 EUR in terms of picture quality I may still go with the BX and put that money towards a better graphics card. It seems the BX uses a weaker processor and lacks some special audio features, but I could get better standalone audio for it. Looks like I have some comparing to do with that unless you have comments there.

I have an Lenovo M900 Tiny PC I use for apps that aren’t on the TV. I figured I would have to put Windows on it because last I heard Linux still didn’t have good HDR support. I will look into using that full time over the TV OS.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I hear you there. I bought a crappy 4k TV a couple years back and always had extra compute to pair with it. I couldn’t get 4k panel then without built in “Smartness”.

We have digital signage monitors for our classrooms at my work place and not only are they more expensive than their smart counterparts, the build quality, while more rugged, shows that these are the monitors that did not pass muster as consumer TVs due to things like light bleed, uneven illumination, and heat generation.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.