Turning your Android phone into a Linux pocket PC

A while ago I mentioned this in the comment section of a video and @wendell suggested I make a post about it in the project section. It’s been a few months and I figured I should probably get around to doing it so here it is. A couple of prerequisites before we get started. Bare minimum you need a rooted android phone with busybox installed. Magisk or SuperSU is HIGHLY recommended but technically speaking not required. adb(part of the Android SDK) is more or less a requirement but you might be able to get by using a terminal emulator app. There are two ways of doing this. The first is the easy one click script that I’ve written for my own uses which you can find here: https://storage.googleapis.com/debian-chroot/installer.sh. Please note the script REQUIRES Magisk or SuperSU to work properly and may not work on all devices. It has been tested in both system and systemless based roots on two different devices(Moto X 2013(32 bit) and a Nexus 5X(64 bit)) but that doesn’t mean it works across the board. The other method is the manual way, which doesn’t require Magisk or SuperSU, involves quite a bit more work but if you truly want to do it yourself then I’ll walk through that as well. This tutorial is for arm based(both 32 and 64 bit) Android devices. If your device is x86 you can use the general concepts from the manual section but the script won’t work for you and the manual section is not designed with x86 in mind. For those that look at the script and think to themselves “god this is terribly written.” Yes I’m aware…I don’t really shell script often and there are other issues with it but ignore that…it works doesn’t it? One last thing. This tutorial is not really for beginners. You need to be comfortable with the command line and familiar enough with Android to fix your device if you break something. You are playing with root after all. Note: Commands are wrapped like this

DISCLAIMER:

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR DEVICE. IT’S YOURS, NOT MINE. AS ADDED WARNING USING THE SCRIPT MOUNTS SOME ANDROID DIRECTORIES INTO YOUR INSTALL SO DELETING YOUR INSTALL WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE. IF YOU WANT TO REMOVE THE INSTALL DELETE /magisk/.core/service.d/debian, /su/su.d/debian, or /system/su.d/debian respectively AND THEN REBOOT THE DEVICE BEFORE DELETING. YOU CAN USE busybox mount TO SEE WHAT’S MOUNTED. DOUBLE CHECK THAT NOTHING IS MOUNTED TO /data/local/Debian/mnt/system or /data/local/Debian/mnt/data I HAVE BRICKED MY PHONE TWICE BECAUSE OF THIS.

Using the Script:

1. Download the script to your PC or adb shell into your device.
  2. If you downloaded the script to your PC(skip to step 3 if you want to download to your device directly):
  1. Copy the script to your phone either via MTP(drag and drop to the phone in your system file explorer) or use adb push installer.sh /sdcard/. from the directory where you downloaded the script.
  2. Move the script from /sdcard to /data/local using adb shell or a terminal emulator. You must do this as root. To elevate to root run su from either the terminal emulator or adb shell. Now skip to step 4
  1. Downloading the script directly to your device(all commands must be run as root. Use su to elevate):
  1. Add a nameserver so that libc can resolve the googleapis domain. You can do this by running echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf using adb shell or a terminal emulator.
  2. cd to /data/local.
  3. Download the file with busybox wget http://storage.googleapis.com/debian-chroot/installer.sh
  1. Make the installer executable by running busybox chmod +x installer.sh
  2. Run the installer: ./installer.sh
  3. After your phone reboots you can run /system/xbin/setenv.sh to launch your install from any terminal.

Doing it manually:

1. Get out your Linux PC(yes you need this).
  2. Install debootstrap.
  3. Get a debian install by running debootstrap --foreign --arch=arm64 stable Debian https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian replace arm64 with armhf if your device is 32bit. If your device is a unicorn and uses x86 it requires substantially less steps but I’m not covering that.
  4. Copy the Debian folder containing your install to your device either using adb push Debian /sdcard/. or by using MTP. If you’ve got adbd insecure then you can probably just push it directly to /data/local.
  5. Move the Debian folder to /data/local.
  6. Mount some of the needed file systems to finish the install: busybox mount --bind /dev /data/local/Debian/dev and busybox mount --bind /proc /data/local/Debian/proc
  7. chroot into your install with busybox chroot /data/local/Debian /bin/bash
  8. Setup the system environment variables:
    export SHELL=/bin/bash export LD_PRELOAD= export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin export TMPDIR=/tmp
  9. Now we need to install all the packages that make up the base system with: /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage
  10. When that’s done add the default debian repos to your sources echo 'deb https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian stable main' > /etc/apt/sources.list
  11. Set a DNS server with echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf
  12. Create an aid_inet group so that users can access the internet with groupadd -g 3003 aid_inet
  13. Set the _apt users primary group to aid_inet with usermod -g aid_inet _apt
  14. Update the base system(should be up to date but just making sure) apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade
    The base install is now done but ideally we need to automate some things like mounting file systems at startup and setting environment variables when you enter the chroot. The next section will cover that.

Doing it manually pt. 2(automation):

1. Make a script named debian in /magisk/.core/service.d, /su/su.d, or /system/su.d respectively based on whether or not your root is Magisk, SuperSU systemless or SuperSU system
  2. In the script put the following:
    #!/system/bin/sh busybox mount --bind /dev /data/local/Debian/dev busybox mount --bind /dev/pts /data/local/Debian/dev/pts busybox mount --bind /proc /data/local/Debian/proc busybox mount --bind /sys /data/local/Debian/sys
  3. Now we need to make an easy way to enter the our environment. This script is the android side. You can save it anywhere as anything but I generally make it setenv.sh and put it in /system/xbin:
    #!/system/bin/sh busybox mount -o remount,suid,dev /data busybox chroot /data/local/Debian /setenv.sh
  4. And this one is the debian side. Save it as setenv.sh in the root of your Debian install:
    #!/bin/bash export SHELL=/bin/bash export LD_PRELOAD= export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin export TMPDIR=/tmp bash
  5. You can now run the script we made in step 3 to start your install.

Installing XFCE:

1. Enter your install
  2. Install the debian package xfce4 with apt-get install xfce4
  3. Install the android app XSDL which can be found on the play store
  4. Setup the DISPLAY environment variable according to XSDL(usually just export DISPLAY=:0)
  5. Run xfce using startxfce4

Extras:

• Using a USB type C to displayport cable with a supported phone to mirror the screen with XSDL open in tandem with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse would allow you to basically have a portable desktop.

Q/A:

Q. Why isn’t my networking working properly???
A. The Android kernel has some added security features namely paranoid networking. Creating a group with gid 3003(traditionally named aid_inet) and then adding users to it will generally fix this issue. This can even affect root.

Q. If you’ve bricked your phone twice because you mounted /system and /data into your Debian install why does the script do that?
A. Because when I open my terminal emulator it automatically enters the chroot and I like being able to access my android files as well. Especially since 99% of the time I need to run a command that’s installed in Debian against a file outside the chroot.

Q. Why not just use Linux Deploy or one of the other Android apps out there
A. Linux Deploy and others don’t work on my Nexus 5X. I’ve tried. They worked on my old Moto X but I’ve been unable to get them working on my 5X. From looking at the logs it seems like Linux Deploy requires ar to work which is not included in busybox. I just said screw trying to figure it out or compiling ar…I’ll just roll my own.

6 Likes

I'm glad editing brings posts up to the top. I really need to sell off my galaxy S7...

Why do you need to get rid of your S7?

Can't install custom android OS' on it. I wouldn't even begin to experiment with this endeavor since I doubt it'll be available as well. It's insanely locked down for an android system.

Ah, well that sucks. I've gotten in the habit of buying phones with unlockable bootloaders out of the box because dealing with all the crap carriers and OEMs do to lock the phones down is just a pain in the ass. I've know quite a few people who can't even get root much less a bootloader unlock because of the imposed restrictions on most devices. That's probably one of the few good things that came out of dirty cow. In theory devices that previously couldn't be rooted should be able to be but I haven't seen many root methods using it.

I'm doing that for now on. I've decided that this is my last non-unlocked phone. I'm tired of being slaved into the experience that ATT and/or Samsung wants me to have.

1 Like

Yeah I've found that locked phones are fine for average people but for power users they're just terrible prisons. I couldn't live without root. I do so many things with it. Some of it is provided by root some of it is provided by this Debian install. I use root on a daily basis. If for nothing else for the ad block.

Instead of doing
dpkg --force -I *.deb
Do
/debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage

Yeah I actually stumbled across that while writing this post but I haven't messed with it and I know dpkg --force-all -i works so I didn't bother to change it. I'll probably be making some more edits soon with better info when using magisk so I'll probably change it then after I mess with it.