Turning down CPU clock when not under load but overclocked otherwise

I have limited experience overclocking so this might be an easy question. I have an 1800x I got for a good deal. Was just going to get a 1700 and overclock it, but went with the 1800x because of the deal. Anyway, I’ve overclocked to 4 GHz stable on all cores (might push it further, but that was the quick and dirty OC) and was wondering if there was a way to have the CPU clock speed decrease when not under load and go back up to the 4 GHz when under load. This computer stays on 24/7 as a plex server and doubles as a gaming machine/cryptominer sometimes when I’m in the mood. Do I need to give up the OC on the CPU to go back to the normal behavior of CPU clocks changing as needed? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Motherboard? OS?

Ryzen balanced will do this in Windows.

Some MBs have a setting. Like ASRock has ‘Cool and Quiet’ which does that.

You can also go into Pstate settings, that you can Google…

1 Like

mobo = MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon (It does have a “Cool n’ Quiet” setting, but having this on while overclocked doesn’t seem to do anything)

Win10Pro x64

I’ll try the balanced power setting the drivers installed and see if that helps. Might dive into the other Pstate stuff if others fail. I guess I could always use the AMD software to activate the OC when I know I’ll need it and turn off when it sits idle. Thanks for the suggestions @Raziel

I won’t bother with having Ryzen underclock as there is not much power saving to do so. If you search on youtube “pstate overclocking ryzen” and watch “Why pstate overclocking on Ryzen CPUs isn’t worth the effort.” It will explain why. Just make sure you have global C-state enabled in bios and you should be all good.

Also make sure you download the chipset drivers from AMDs website first of all.

1 Like

Doing a BLCK overclock should do this, I did this with my 8320E and 4.5 to 4.6 on single core, 3.5 on all cores and when hot it would go under 1ghz when doing nothing.
Mine was done by
shutting down C6
Upping BCLK to 223 from 200 while backing off some other stuff
turning on C6
However my MB is a cheap POS with very a very limited BIOS, yours is obviously not. And a different generation of CPU.

Basically I spent months reading a ton off stuff and learning everything I could about OC’ing the AM3+ by just sitting down with some coffee and my tablet and reading threads at the overclocking forums.
@noenken has been overclocking his ryzen and banging his head against the wall, and he has been posting everything he has learned (good, bad and ugly) on his ryzen thread and elsewhere.

And learning what all those weird terms are in the BIOS, basically I would to a term search in the overclocking forums for each BIOS setting.
Being a truck driver obviously the learning curve was steep but after a while I came out with a surprisingly good OC and knowing my MB really really well.

You already saw our OC’ing section, kinda sad :disappointed_relieved:

Honestly, don’t bother. Performance gains from OCing that chip is basically zero. Just let it do it’s thing and be happy with it. I have a 1600x now and it is totally fine.

Also my new 1700 from RMA should be coming in a few days.
… That took only SEVEN WEEKS! … yaaaay … Thanks, Caseking.
Probably just gonna sell it and run the six core until Ryzen refresh.

Windows Start >> Type “edit power plan” >> Go to: Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Minimum processor state.

I changed the i7 multiplier in BIOS, which for some reason caused windows to set minimum processor state at 100%…
M$, why yu do dis?