Return to Level1Techs.com

Turning an external SAS array into a NAS cheaply

storage

I have a 10 bay JMR SilverStor for which I paid nearly nothing. I want to use it as back up storage, ideally as a NAS. I’m a bit new to this and I’ve figured I’m missing a SAS host bus adaptor for the enclosure but then am struggling. I don’t currently have a PC with a PCI-e slot to plug it into.

Ideally I don’t want to double the power consumption of this venture, nor do I want to spend a fortune/buy a whole other PC just to run it. I do have some Raspberry Pi doing nothing. Or an old Mac Mini (USB and Firewire only)

Any ideas? Many thanks.

0 Likes

The NAS Expander connects to another NAS (or 2) via an external RAID Card. Fairly certain it isn’t possible to use it standalone; It needs another computer to control the drives it manages

0 Likes

Edit:

Ok it pre-dates thunderbolt. Needs a special host card, and host cable.

More info here:

You’ve got basically a useless chassis, IMHO

0 Likes

I wouldn’t say useless necessarily, you would need to control it via another computer though

0 Likes

It doesn’t have a traditional SAS connection for another computer to connect with. It’s also missing the HBA it originally shipped with.

Maybe two options.

1. Find a SAS port expander card that will convert SFF-8088 to whatever internal connections you need for the backplane.

2. There’s likely enough room in there for an ITX motherboard and SAS HBA. Then it could be made into a self contained NAS.

1 Like

Thank you. For some reason, I couldn’t even find its specs. Good find!

0 Likes

Both good ideas. I hadn’t thought about getting an ITX motherboard into it: or indeed the fact that it doesn’t need to do any heavy lifting so any old celeron etc. would do.

1 Like

Good luck with the project. That’s a nice looking case.

0 Likes

Any updates? Curious if you got this converted to a nas?

With a motherboard and an sas controller, you should be able to build a very nice nas on the cheap if the backplane works. :smiley:

1 Like

sees title

Oh

0 Likes

Spend 5 bucks on a core duo machine.

0 Likes