Trying to upgrade my Thinkpad t560 display to a 3k screen

I have a t560 that came with the 1080p screen. That screen sucks, its dim and colors are meh.

The 3k screen is widely available and its not so expensive ~$130

The issue is that I don't know if I have to also buy a controller, or if the controller in my laptop is already a display port one, which I a have no way of knowing.

Does anyone have any information on how to find out if this upgrade is possible? I don't want to have to open and disassemble the laptop just to find out it isn't.

The display you're linking to doesn't seem to state whether it's for a Thinkpad T560, I could be wrong though. Either way, getting the correct LCD is important as the LVDS (Display) connector is in a specific spot on the motherboard of the laptop and the flat cable on this LCD might not route to the connector's position. You could probably try transplanting the driver board of the original LCD to this one, but that might be difficult.

It doesn't specify on the eBay page but I am fairly convinced that its compatible. What sparked my interest in this whole thing is that on the Lenovo website, there was a serial number on one of the display's specifications of the thinkpad t560 3k panel and that lead me to these panels on eBay.

you need to check how mane pins your eDP connection on your motherboard has.

my T460s has 30pin eDP so I'm stuck with 1080p.

Manufacturer of their displays probably, but you're right, http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t560/. Even the Lenovo website advertises a 3K display option for the t560 although seeing as this is a newer Thinkpad, the disassembly might be a challenge.

no, you just need a credit card and a scew driver.

the new screens have a sticker on the bezel, if oyu can wall it that, slide credit card around edges to pop it off, peel off, unscrew display to remove and disconnect cable.

the problem is I suspect his only has a 30pin eDP instead of the required 40 for eDP (they use different mobos)

I am trying to figure out how to check if I have 40 pin eDP without dissasembly.
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t560_p50s_hmm_en_sp40k04930.pdf
page 98 says how to take it apart and I pretty much have to take it all apart.

I wonder if there is way software wise to check.

You can often find the leaked schematics for laptops online and check. Still might be quicker to just count the pins. The only was to be sure it's pin compatible though is to probe it or check the 3K display's datasheet and compare it to the old display's datasheet

If you know how to find said schematics, please tell me.

Couldn't find 'em. Just crack open your display assembly and count the pins and write down the model number. Luckily the LCD datasheets are all freely available.

Apparently, it may only be 30 pin. Online you can only find the 00UR854 part number for edp cables.

I found this eBay post and counted off the pins and one side is 30 and the other 38?

you have ot take it apart (not entirely)

for my T460s, I had to take off the back cover then write down the FRU's/mode Nos on the cable and motherboard, look it up and find out it wont work .

your motherboard only has a 30pin connector, so you need to repalce the whole motherboard assembly.......