Trying to pass through a pci-e sata/usb3 controller

Hi

As the title mentions I d like to pass through a sata/usb3 controller so before I (if ever) manage to passthrough the gpu I need first to pass through the controller upon which is the ssd i have dedicated for the VM.
The controller is an Asmedia with an isolated iommu group and need it only for the VM.
Can anyone tell me in which files do I have to put the pci id’s in order to pass it / exclude it for the host OS etc?

In a guide I tried for the gpu he used the files
/etc/default/grub

/etc/initramfs-tools/modules

/etc/modules

/etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf (probably not in this one but do i need to make an identical for the controller?)

/etc/modprobe.d/vfio_pci.conf

/etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf (probably not this one too because its just for the installation of Win)

/etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/libvirt-qemu (for the permitions of apparmor)

If you follow a guide meant for a GPU you can simply substitute the address for the controller where you’d put the GPU? It all kinda depends on the distro and if you’re planning on doing a GPU in the end anyway is there any harm in using one?

I’d suggest this one but ymmv - VFIO in 2019 -- Pop!_OS How-To (General Guide though) [DRAFT]

Thank you for your quick reply

Passing through a gpu doesnt necessary means that same steps need to be followed for each device. As you see above some new files were created upon gpu pass through such as
/etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf (do I need to create a new file like Asmedia.conf and what procedure is going to call that file?)

What about here
/etc/modprobe.d/vfio_pci.conf
or
/etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf
or apparmor?
Also why should I put a line inside the /etc/default/grub since it was only to enable the iommu just once (of course this is jsut my thought doesnt mean that I am right thats why I need the verification from someone of what I need to do exactly)

I dont know about you but it isnt as easy for me .

Kinda why I recommended following a guide if you don’t know what’s what and are just getting your feet wet. Specifically, the guide I linked uses a method that is device agnostic. There’s no modifying module options either. There are other guides too. If you want to use a specific distro you might be able to find a matching guide. Ask questions on it if something isn’t clear.

Ok thank you I ll try to read the one you pointed out. Forgot to mention I am using Debian 10 with kernel ver 4.19.0.5 (default one)

In that case there shouldn’t be too much differences I think? I applied the guide to Pop Os 18.04 w/kernel 4.15, which is ubuntu based. If anything it should be easier as Debian uses grub out of the box doesn’t it?

I think yes but I cant figure out if its grub (has been depricated) or grub2. I was searching yesterday now that you reminded me for the command to check the version of the boot loader but then again it wasnt clear to which it was using

According to distrowatch it’s 2.04 so I’d assume Grub2 unless they decided to get real confusing with their numbering :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like