Trying to install PHP7.2 on a Debian Jessie Server (no need for apache)

Im trying to install php 7.2 on my server as I wrote (in the title) however this is kinda where im stuck now.

apt install php7.2 php7.2-cgi php7.2-common php7.2-cli libssl1.1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libssl1.1 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libssl1.1' has no installation candidate

I didn´t find any means to install libssl1.1 on Debian8. I could ofc update to Debian9, but that right now I don´t (really) wanna do cause I´ll have to setup everything again. (mostly rebuild the raid, smb share´s for me and my entire family, print server, mostly those) It´s currently also our router, witch well… i´ll have to get a proper router at some point lul. But it works better than the cr4ppy router that´s built into our WLAN, so there you go.

What do I wanna do with PHP?

I want to make a script that runs every day or every week and sends me the status of the RAID array via Telegram.

Now, I might not necessarily NEED PHP to make this specific Job run, but I still kinda wanna make it work out this way, because turns out I now need a bunch of PHP for work, witch I didn´t really use up until now. So a bit of training outside of work, for when I can apply it can´t hurt. And also (unlike work) productivity is like ‘who cares’ in my free time, so I can care more about doing things properly and not copy paste deprecated things back and forth to make the deprecated php5 source code we bought do what we want asap.

Maybe, PHP7.2 does not really work on Debian8 not sure, I could try 7.1 or 7.0, if that´s the only real option.

Installing any other SSL library other than 1.1, won´t work I think. I´ve found older versions I could install, but when it says it needs 1.1, I don´t think it would work at all with anything older than that.

I might however want to install apache anyways, for trying out other stuff. Does it even work without apache? Never tried. But I feel like it should.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libssl1.1

Looks to me like Jesse doesn’t have libssl1.1

You will probably need to change release or find a 3rd party repo for it.

you could try manually downloading and installing the package, but I’m going to strongly recommend against that for any sort of long-term use.

Yea, also had to install a repo to get php 7.2 to begin with. But i mean there should be a libssl too right? Otherwise what´s the use when you cannot install it anyways.

But, I didn´t find it.

Gonna keep searching and otherwise just use an older version, I guess.

Yeah, this is why I don’t use Debian, but that’s a different topic.

1 Like

I just installed php7.0 now, it works and it´s not php5.

[REDACTED]

@maximal what’s up with the Telegram link?

If you read the initial post, you´d know.

I just found the way funny they setup the system you use to create a Bot in Telgram.

But, I guess that offended the internet in some way.

It´s not really off topic when the thing im trying to do USES Telegram bots…

1 Like