Trying to get Audio working, XML Config Keeps *@#$%$& Reverting Back!

Warning - this is partly a frustration rant so don’t take it too seriously… but I will appreciate suggestions to around the problems mentioned.

I finally got around to building a new PC using a motherboard with good IOMMU groups. GPU passthrough is working perfectly fine, performance seems acceptable. The hard part is done right? No, of course not!

I’m having a harder time getting the damn AUDIO working than GPU passthrough. Even Looking Glass is working (mostly) fine other than some mouse capture issues I’ll have to work on next, but that’s another topic.

Whenever I try various recommendations (XML config changes) to reconfigure Spice or QEMU audio, nothing stays saved. I’ve tried using virsh edit on the CLI and virt-manager’s UI which lies and acts like it saved… but manual edits don’t stick. It doesn’t seem to be a permissions issue, nano doesn’t even complain about writing to disk. Editing via the virt-manager UI seems to be the only reliable way to update the vm config.

At this point as you can probably tell it’s really pissing me off now. The hard part should be done. Anyone know what the deal with this XML config is? Whoever coded whatever is causing this, what the hell were they thinking?

Have you been using virt-xml-validate libvirt.xml? Sounds like the configuration you are trying to use is from an older libvirt version or something similar.

Lots of troubleshooting suggestions here: A.19. Common libvirt Errors and Troubleshooting Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 | Red Hat Customer Portal

1 Like

Nope, I’ll take a look, thanks.

You would think instead of trying to “fix” or undo what you did wrong, it’s spit out some kind of error message. Oh well.

1 Like