Trying to find out how much power my motherboard's on board USB-C can provide

My motherboard is a Z390 Auros Pro and it has an on board USB-C port. I am getting the HP Reverb G2 and it has 2 option to power it, one with a USB-A/power adapter and the other being a single USB-C. I’d like to keep less things plugged in and would much prefer to use a single USB-C vs a USB/outlet combo.

The problem is that it requires a specific amount of power (at least 6w) and I have no idea if my motherboard’s USB-C meets that requirement. I checked the manual, gigabyte forums and even tried contacting Gigabyte themselves and I can’t seem to get an answer.

So is there a way to test it either with software or a piece of hardware to see how much power this thing can deliver. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

If it’s a spec compliant port, then I would imagine the same as your average USB 3.1 port is capable of (900mA I think). GB sometimes configures certain USB ports on their boards to be able to provide extra current however, so check your board’s manual if it has a BIOS option for that.

Thanks a lot I’ll give that a look. Assuming the port is spec compliant, do you know how many watts that would be?

5V 900mA = 4.5W
It will depend on the “Gen” of USB it is. The above is for “Gen1”, but “Gen2” I think can go up to 1.5A (7.5W).

GB has been calling their USB over-current solution “DAC-UP” in their latest boards, so check the manual or you BIOS for such an option.

Edit: The spec sheet on GB’s website for your board says the header in “USB 3.1 Gen1”, so I would assume the port is capable of the 4.5W only.

The 2017 revision allows up to 3A

The port on the board in question is 3.1 Gen 2

Yeah, missed that. The rear USB-C port is Gen2, while the onboard header is Gen1.

Either go off the spec, or:

USB meter

variable USB load

Turn up the load until voltage drops to 4.75 (or you trigger OCP ← Don’t be like I am).

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.