Trying to find next small router

Hello.

I’m running TP-link wr1043N with openwrt, and it cant handle ad blocking due too low memory.

My other handicap is the size of the device (200x140x28mm) to fit in networking cabinet. that current one hardly fits in and lucky it’s extremely low power an does not generate much heat, it’s fine there.

I’m looking for a model with quite similar size but bigger memory(128mb+).

I’m aware i might need to run low speed/noise 40mm fan to cool next router that i get there.
Also the device needs to be able to run openwrt or similar opensource firmware.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

PS. Wife does not allow me to bolt stuff outside of the box. tho if i bolt them antennas to box with extenders from the router, that might be fun “breach” of “tossun_alla”. :smirk:

If you simply want network wide adblocking, why not put a Pi-Hole DNS into your LAN?

1 Like

I have the rpi3 to do it, but i would much rather have it all inside the same box. and cant fit rpi in the closet. it’s tight.

@Greggio, I don’t think you will find a smaller router than a Raspberry Pie, so your choices are either to purchase an enormous Network closet or start storing devices outside of your network closet. I am in the same situation. There are several different routers and switches I would like to learn to use, but I don’t have any room for a more extensive network closet. To solve that problem, I am looking into virtualization then somehow hook my virtualized routers and switches into my physical network.

3 Likes

You absolutely can.

There are a lot of tiny router boards on Aliexpress.
Search for example for the NanoPi or MT7620A chipset.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity could you not just virtualize a PiHole? There isn’t much need for a dedicated physical device when Pihole can run on such a small container or VM.

1 Like

The device has 32 megs of ram. and not all of it is free for use. also the chip is quite slow an i don’t think it can virtulize much or even does it support vm’s. Unles i find good small sized router too replace that one, i will need to just set up pihole and fix the trafic.

You could run OpenWRT or pfSense on one of these. Not much larger than a nuc.

1 Like

You could always try NextDNS, it’s basically Pi-hole as a service. (Full disclosure, that’s an affiliated link. It should give you 30% off if you decide the subscribe for the year … mods, if not allowed, I apologize in advance and pls remove it).

Not sure about you, but I want a RockPro64 with a 4 ports gigabit Intel card running OpenBSD next.
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.