Trying to escape the šŸŽ walled garden

awesome link, thank you for pointing me towards shelter and work profile ā€˜setupā€™ idea, did you install google playstore services and framework under work profile as well?

• when i install it from grapheneOS app manager and then move to work space through cloning in shelter - it doesnā€™t seem to work properly and i keep getting error messagesā€¦

• i need the services and framework for the pixel camera app (as well as for gmaps i assume)

• do you use aurora store apps under work or regular profile though?
    -will have a look at the netguard as soon as iā€™m done with the profile set up

• Thanks again for pointing me in the directions of work profiles that makes the general logic of the set up MUCH more clear for me now, need to iron out the details and i should be golden:)

It separates the apps into 2 ā€˜drawersā€™ and you can switch between them on the fly, very cool way of sandboxing gServices useing the cool idea for work apps!

Yes I dd

I installed aurora in both profiles and used the work profile version to install apps in work profile

Fdroid and netguard is a one I use in both

1 Like

RethinkDNS. You CAN run dns filtering on your phone! At least when they decide to enable the feature. I connect the program to my lan computer with pihole.

1 Like

I happened to be in the middle of upgrading software on my phone todayā€¦ long story. But I thought I would post a screen shot of what a degoogled phone looks like. This is the basic rom, before I add any additional apps.

This is on a pixel 6/oriole. The phone does have gcam, but Iā€™m using a gcam service provider to enable the camera functions. Most of the basic stuff is aosp, with a few other quality of life apps added. There is no google play or google store.

The long version of why I am updating software today is that I messed up my build and forgot to add a permission, so my data was inaccessible. I backup up often, so I didnā€™t lose anything other than the time it takes to reinstall and set up everything again. I realized the build error a little late, and I might have been able to preserve my data if I noticed what was wrong earlier.

I guess this is a straightforward post about how good degoogled phones can be and how bad the risk can be.

2 Likes

Been daily driving GrapheneOS with no gapps for about a year now. Pretty happy with it. (coming from self compiled lineage OS, been running since it was called cyanogenmod).

I love how minimal and clean it is. The amount of permissions controls. But more so I love the peace of mind of not having GSF reporting back to google weather it thinks iā€™m sitting down or standing up.

I didnā€™t have any issues using any apps but I have pretty minimal requirements in the first place. I was already using signal. k-9 for email.

The only google service i use is a gmail for certain things. If i need maps ā†’ open maps, or google maps works well enough in the browser.

Fdroid and Aurora cover everything else for my needs.

I suppose there is some irony in trying to ā€œescape from googleā€, yet grapheneos only running on pixels.

Similary ironic, despite grapheneos being one of the most secure OSā€™s, even it is not safe: Pixel 6 Full Lockscreen Bypass POC - YouTube
Lockscreen bypass fixed in November's update - discovered by GrapheneOS in June - GrapheneOS Discussion Forum

Linux phones arenā€™t quite there yet for me. Iā€™ll try Ubuntu touch if my vaporware pro1x ever shows up in the mail.

1 Like

@gee_one

hey, thanks for posting, iā€™ve put down the pixel but the itch in my brain keeps scratching - that a quiet straight forward solution exists for more privacy than both stock android and stock ios and Iā€™m not using it simply because Iā€™m too lazy to adapt to a new ecosystem - so Iā€™m probably gonna just switch my main phone for the pixel and see what happensā€¦:slight_smile:

Which gcam service provider are you using and how did you get it? through aurora store or fdroid?

edit: just saw your message from another thread on the same topic:) thanks for that response as well!

if i set up the google framework and simply take away all the permissions including internet - do you think that would be sufficient? or is using a different provider a better solution in your opinion?

@0xDE57
Hey, really appreciate the feedback,

• can you elaborate on what app you use for camera?

• didnā€™t even think about using google maps in the browser, so this is a really pro tip

• for now i have the google framework installed with gmaps and google camera, but Iā€™d like to avoid using them during current reset (planing to switch to it as a main device for now) so that iā€™m forced to decide on all the apps that i need, if the device is secondary like i was using it before I tend to get lazy and avoid doing it.
  • the irony does make chuckle every time that I think about it lol

• the security is never absolute - and it is more around how much control you have over your device, than being 100% secure + the devices that graphene os supports they support for as long as google does which is tremendously impressive for a rather small organization and the main focus of support is fixing the ever-opening security holes, so this i think is part of the process, what is interesting though is how long it would take them to fix it after the initial discovery as this is much more a sign of security in my eyes:)

• do you do any back ups of the device and if you do - what do you use?

• did you have to use the back up for a restore? if so how did that go
    • because backups on ios is a breeze, and i havenā€™t heard anything on android solutionsā€¦
  • Because Iā€™m switching from IOS everything is like an entirely different world, any tips on general day-to-day usage, that come from the experience of daily driving the GrapheneOS?

Thanks;)

Built in camera isnt terrible but lacks some featrues.

Open camera is a little better i think but the slow motion wasnā€™t working for me.

Stealing my answer from a previous thread

Thereā€™s this thing, it can be found on Fdroid:

As one more piece of irony I find that google maps actually works BETTER in browser than their bloated ass app ever did. You canā€™t rotate the map unfortunately. But directions and everything else works well enough imo.

As far as backup, thatā€™s still something I could sort out a little better. I dont use cloud anything. I just physically connect my phone and copy the photos over. Then i have various backups once im in desktop land.

1 Like

Other pro tips.

The ā€œsimpleā€ apps are really nice in fdroid. simple notes, simple calendar. Theyā€™re orange. edit: killed by ZipoApps. see FossifyOrg for safe fork

Newpipe for youtube. supports pip, background playing, downloading. no ads.

I use spotify. Spotify claims to require gsf but it works fine without it.

Hereā€™s a real world example of spying protection; when I plug my phone in attach the debugger and watch the logcat.

Here it is failing to read my serial via androids TelephonyPermissions:

And here it is failing to call gms and ads identifiers:

I love watching services try to spy and failā€¦

Put your phone in debug mode and watch what apps do. You may be surprised. This is also how you can verify and test things.

1 Like

It might be available in other places, but I build it myself and add it to the rom when I build it.

Iknow very little about google framework since I donā€™t mess with it too much. I do have a test build that has minimal gapps, but that is just for testing and I hardly look at it. I just leave the google permissions as is for that build.

1 Like

@0xDE57

Damn, thanks a lot for such a detailed answer, I really appreciate it!

• I rarely use the maps for navigation, but looking up places is considerably easier in maps relative to your position, and for navigation i installed here we go maps as they are quiet good for real navigation, will test out open maps so thatā€™s also a good tip!

• will look into back ups as well then after the final set up, because setting up everything multiple times when switching phones is a real hustle - and for the piece of mind as well:)

Other pro tips

• thanks a lot for the diverse list, will be looking up everything that you mentioned!

• do you have a good recommendation for scanner, because what Iā€™ve looked up so far has come up short - either requires a registration or the UI is dumb as a wall:/
  • that is really cool to see, will deffo have a look see at the debug mode as well lol

Thanks again for being so helpful!

edit: also would be very interested to know what you use for weather:)

@gee_one

Hey, thanks for the answer!

Is there any real pros and cons to getting it from the fdroid store or the git hub?

realistically i need only the camera, so iā€™ll figure it out for the daily drive set up.

Thanks again!

scanner

To scan what? like ocr document scanner?

weather ā†’ i stopped looking at the weather years ago unless iā€™m planning something for a particular day. I just look outside and go along with it. but when i do i need to look it up, i just use the browser again instead of some bloated app.

1 Like

i just use the browser again instead of some bloated app

a refreshing perspective, I just might adapt this approach lol

To scan what? like ocr document scanner?

like you point camera at a document and it gives you a decent quality pdf:)

Seriously most things just work in the browser still without their dedicated app. All though often the mobile sites can be intentionally nerfed in certain ways.

eg: Reddit has been intentionally breaking their mobile site over the years in order to force you into their ad riddled app. I just go to desktop veiw and old.reddit to get around it. Annoying but I donā€™t use reddit enough to care.

If you want an adblocker, firefox mobile supports ublock origin.

Plus thereā€™s tons of crap you can mess with in about:config to disable sites api permission to say read your battery level for example:

dom.battery.enabled

Gives web applications access to the battery status of mobile devices. May be used in fingerprinting techniques.

• True : Allows web applications to retrieve the battery status (default).
  • False : Disables the functionality.

It should be off by default, imo. Thatā€™s a whole other rabbit whole tho.

Brave browser doesnā€™t seem terrible so far. Idk, try different things.

ā€“
Re Scanner: Iā€™m not sure. Perhaps just a good high res photo with the camera and search for a pdf app that can create pdfs from images?

2 Likes

Looking for an OCR kind of app as well, something like what Google Goggles used to provide.

1 Like

@regulareel

Microsoft lens or smth like that works perfectly, simply took away the network privileges and work fine:)

1 Like

for some reason having issues with geolocation in the browser, canā€™t seem to figure out why thou, checked all the location permissions and they seem fineā€¦

• so far the native browser works perfect - so it does the job;)

the config files are a couple of steps ahead, so thatā€™s not smth i can wrap my head around rn, but i sure do appreciate that it is available;)