Trying to buy a modern Wireless Networking Card for my Linux Desktop

Total N00b here absolutely no idea wtf I’m doing. And got lots of questions.

I need bluetooth and wifi on my pc it turns out.

My Motherboard doesn’t have integrated wifi! Who needs it? That’s what pcie slots are for! - or so I thought!?

So my first Question to anyone willing to answer is:

1. Is it worth buying a separate WiFi card in 2020 or has integration killed that market for all but the most legacied of devices and I should just upgrade my Motherboard?

2. Is the 2.4 Ghz Wifi Band the same thing as Bluetooth or nah?
    I mean I realize they’re probably different software protocols
    but can a 2.4 Ghz Wifi card communicate with bluetooth devices?

3. Compatibility
    So obviously everything is compatible with linux if you’re smart enough. The Problem is I’m not (look at Question 2 for proof).

So I was looking at this listing on Amazon
(unfortunately I don’t have enough L1-cred to include links in my post):

It clearly states that the card is compatible with Linux (Kernel 5 1+)

great am on 5.3!
but then:

“- Driver installation required via Website or included CD”

but there are no linux drivers or any mention of linux support on their website!
So

1. does it just use open source drivers that come standard with linux?
  2. Has tp link dropped linux support into a memory hole and you have get something cracked from github?
  3. you’re sol if you by this for use with linux, Amazon is lying?

I looked at a Website that said that basically all TP-Link network cards are compatible with linux but I also saw one that said that linux wlan Networking is a total mess and you never know what you’re gonna get.

So if you’re currently using a bluetooth and and wifi expansion card that works with an amount of hassle you think I can get down with then I would love to hear a suggestion.

I would also settle for a dongle but compatibility seems even worse with those somehow!? and I need Antennas for this to look gamer enough.

also I’m using ubuntu 19.10
(or more specifically Pop but I doubt it madders)
I have free pcie slots on the ol’ B450 ds3h
amd 2200G & rx590 hardcore I know

Buy a separate card unless you have a small form factor build(ie ITX).

No, they are different and not compatible. Some chipsets can do both bluetooth and wifi, especially on phones but is basically two chips pushed together.

1 Like
  1. Is it worth buying a separate WiFi card in 2020 or has integration killed that market for all but the most legacied of devices and I should just upgrade my Motherboard?

I wouldn’t say it’s worth grabbing a whole new motherboard just to add Wifi/Bluetooth support personally. Maybe if you need additional features as well? I would say the add-on card should work fine.

1. Is the 2.4 Ghz Wifi Band the same thing as Bluetooth or nah?
    I mean I realize they’re probably different software protocols
    but can a 2.4 Ghz Wifi card communicate with bluetooth devices?

The 2.4Ghz signal is for Wifi and not Bluetooth but this card does support Bluetooth so no need to worry. Look up 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz Wifi to get a description because I cannot remember off the top of my head =D

1. Compatibility
    So obviously everything is compatible with linux if you’re smart enough. The Problem is I’m not (look at Question 2 for proof).

I had a look at the chipset for this card and from what I found it seems like it uses an Intel chipset which should be built into the kernel and need no additional driver install.

2 Likes

I believe the card you are looking at(TP-Link TX3000e) is based on the Intel AX200 chipset. The chipset is what you want to look at for Linux driver compatibility.

Here is the Intel page about linux wifi chipset support-

The AX200 supports kernels 5.1 and newer. The driver is included in the linux kernel, and the firmware should be installed by default on PopOS. If it is not, you may need to install a firmware package from the repositories.

5 Likes

how do you know its based on the AX200 chipset?
Their website only says intel wifi 6 chipset

to be able to figure this out for myself would be very useful for comparing other products

Here-
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/tp-link-archer-tx3000e-review

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.