Trying not to burn my house down, 3D printer firmware's making it hard

I updated my Octoprint and now i have this wonderful message that says my 3D printer does not have any thermal protection.
(which does not surprise me)

But clicking on the link feeds me no useful information on how to fix this.
My printer is a “Tronxy p802m” and i know it runs the factory (repetier) firmware.
But all those settings are to difficult for me to understand.

How do i update this printer?

Can i copy all settings via octoprint off of my printer or something maybe?

attention

how about ignoring it… updating firmware or so won’t solve the issue…

If you fear for your life, get a cooking tray, fill it with water and place your 3d printer in it… (insulate all wiring with electrical tape.)

and you should be safe from burning down your house down.

Next would be air, if you wish to keep it when your printer is on fire - you should get a metal sheet covers (as they are cheaper than cooking glass.), and build little housing… cut out 2 holes and place fan on 1 end, and other connect to air vent tube - and move the air outside…

1 Like

Does it not have sensors for the bed and nozzle? Also what kind of thermal protection would you like?

it has temperature sensors.
The newer firmwares have “thermal runaway protection”.
Wich basically means that the firmware figures the following (over simplifyd).

When i supply power to the heating element the temperature should go up.
If i supply power to the heating element and the temperature does not go up with x degrees in x time then i shut everything down.

thermal runaway protection is not going to make your 3d printer fireproof. Its there to stop the heating elements from burning up when the sensors dont detect more heat when there should be heat.

If you want that feature and its not on there already you’re going to need to:

• get the arduino IDE
  • look on the board for what kind of arduino chipset it is
  • get it connected via USB to the arduino IDE (this can be a challenge figuring out the settings if you cant find the correct info)
  • find a marlin firmware build for your printer (im sure someone has made one)
  • flash new firmware

For the record you should NEVER print on that printer unattended. Thermal runaway is meant to protect the parts, not stop fires.

EDIT: This is the latest build for it

What about all the settings?
Can i expect to just dump the new firmware on and go printing?
I know its a melzi 2.0 board

For the most part yes. This firmware should work ootb. You might need to invert an axis possibly depending on if your printer was assembled differently but thats not too hard to do.

Googling around that appears to be an atmega 1284 chip. Im not sure of the specific process for your printer so your best bet is to look around for a community specific to that printer.

I found this in the FB group for that printer

FB group to ask for help if needed: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Tronxy/

Thank you but i don’t have facebook.
Could you download the pdf file and post it somewhere?

It seems to go very in depth with specific settings. I have a feeling that most of it is unnecessary with the firmware I provided given its set up for your printer but the guide to actually connect the board to the IDE for uploading should work.

Again, you’re really going to want to find a community besides this one to ask about it because the majority here are using creality. I’m an outlier with a Tevo Tarantula.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Another thing to consider is you could customise your own modern version of repetier and install that.
https://www.repetier.com/firmware/v100/index.php

It may have new features you find interesting. I have been running this on my old frankenstein di3 clone on a ramps board for a while, quite happy with it.

I was looking into that,
I also found a config H file for my printer for an older version.
The file seems to be correct but i haven’t fully checked it out yet.

Be a good reference, I’d be plugging most of that into the configurator. Hell, you could even load that file into the configurator, and see what it pre-fills in for you.

Of course, see if you can download the current firmware and save it some place, and also record the eeprom settings before you do anything. Octoprint has a plugin that can read/write eeprom settings for repetier firmwares. Just in case it all goes pear-shaped.