TRX40 -> WRX80 upgrade advice

I have built a PC in Jan with TRX40 Zenith ii extreme alpha, 3970X, 256 GB 3600MHz CL16 RAM and RTX3060 Ti on 144Hz 38" 3840x1600 LG monitor.

When I decided the specs of my build, I wanted a machine that I can both play and do very heavy workload:

Games: GTA V, rocket league, Dota2, fallout, factorio, COD warzone, PUBG, you get the point all genres.

Work: I do a lot of virtualisation (my kind of work requires running software that can’t be containerised)

With 5950X initially in mind; asking around I’ve been advised to go with TR3000 series as it has decent gaming performance, and can be overclocked, and so I did build above system. I overlooked WRX80 and TR Pro because:

1. It wasn’t clear at time of purchase if this will be available as DYI or OEM only (Lenovo)

2. It doesn’t overclock.

Later on it I got to know that WRX80 systems has double PCIE lanes (I’ll use that for heaps of SSDs for virtualisation and GPU passthrough), has twice memory bandwidth (8 channel vs 4) and is available as DYI with motherboards from Asus, Gigabyte and Supermicro.

Also looking at clocks [stock and boost] there is 200 MHz difference only between 3970x [3.7-4.5 GHz ] and 3975WX [3.5-4.3 GHz].

My current boost clock never goes beyond 4.32 GHz (no CPU overclocking, as I realised overclocking will lock all CPU cores at same speed which with my scilicon roullete is 4.1 GHz. So am just using the 3600 AMD’ XMP profile on my G.skill sticks.

Motherboard’s OLED failed and am RMAing it for a refund. And I have a chance to swap my 3970X with 3975WX (opened box, not used) from a reputable eBay shop) and paying a the difference.

Question: is it worth the upgrade? Will the gaming performance severely decline in comparison to the 3970X? Any know plans for the WRX80 platform to make it worthwhile?

Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.