TrueOS Installation Problems

Theres no BSD section :T there should be a BSD section.

For the last few days I have tried to install TrueOS almost, wait… I think its 10 times now, maybe 11? I’ve only had 1 installation get me a desktop but none of the drivers but wifi worked, I was on VESA, couldn’t see USB sticks… Fucking mess.

I don’t get what I’m doing wrong. I have tried off of both USB and DVD, download on torrents and HTTP, Redownloaded images, and I still get shot to either a crash screen, a broken mess of a menu that has no actual words, or some random mess. And TrueOS is a graphical installer! How am I fucking this up?

Maybe BSD just doesn’t like me. Maybe I should just keep with linux and my BSD can stay with SPARC, Mac, and servers.

I’m trying to install on a Lenovo Thinkpad L520. i5 2520m, HD3000, 12GB ram, SSHD, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Try FreeBSD. I’ve heard nothing but bad things from TrueOS

Then why is it in the top ten of distrowatch?

No idea, but speaking from experience FreeBSD works. It sounds like TrueOS does not.

1 Like

As it happens I’m doing freeBSD right now! Installing it, I mean. Reminds me of when I started using linux. I like that.

Best guess is because it says easy to install and people that wanted to try something different from linux or windows or just wanted to try BSD heard about it on a forum or youtube and have been clicking on it. There is also a Solaris OS @ 28 on the list at the moment.

Yeah but OpenSolaris actually works and has been gaining traction in the workstation market recently. I’ve been tracking it.

Honestly thats where I’m at. FreeBSD is WAY over my head and the devs don’t give a fuck about anyone outside the userbase.

Usually when I play around with BSD I use openBSD, DragonflyBSD, GhostBSD or NetBSD.
( in that order )
My Pacemaker uses BSD so I started to get familiar with it just to understand the $32,000 computer I have embeded in my chest.

Haven’t really used Solaris since Solaris was ran by Sun Micro Systems.
( Also a small part of my never ending hatered for Java™ )

Also I have nevet gotten freeBSD to work out of who knows how many tries since 2006.

I mean installing it isn’t a problem. Its package setup.

Alright well now I have FreeBSD and linux dual booted on my laptop but… BSD isn’t an option in grub?

I’d blame it on the BSDNow podcast (same network as the Linux action show news). They never stop talking about it; probably because one of the main developers is one of the hosts.

@FaunCB
FreeBSD doesn’t use GRUB by default, I know TrueOS has another boot loader it uses (refInd) because I installed it today for a quick look on my Dell Inspiron. It detected the Win10 install fine, no mess. Refind has better compatibility with apple and UEFI (at least that’s what the TrueOS release notes said when they switched over to it).

Todays install went fine, but on setup it encountered some issues with the nvidia driver - I think the dual intel/nvidia GPU setup was an issue, I set it to intel and it seemed ok. Despite finding the wifi NIC it couldn’t find my network. I never had any issues in the past with PC-BSD 10.2 and the desktop I was using back then.

I might play around with it some more, but generally I found Limux to be a better desktop OS owing to being able to quickly find answers on the main-stream distros and rapid packaging of new software etc. Solus is on my everyday desktop at the moment.

In theory OS’s based on FreeBSD & Open Indiana (not Open Solaris, that is now dead) are superior to GNU/Linux but in my experience that really only holds true for the server world provided the hardware is supported or you are skilled enough. My FreeNAS 11 machine works really, really well & SmartOS has a great set of features if you are looking to build a VM/container(zones) platform but I’ve not played with it much. http://www.admin-magazine.com/Articles/SmartOS-Cool-Cloud-Platform-Rises-from-the-Ashes-of-Solaris

The BSDNow podcasts are usually pretty good and Alan Jude always sounds keen to get more people using BSD based products. They also did a set of interviews with Bryan Cantril (ex-Sun, now at Joyant/SmartOS) which were a riot - he is a very clever guy and has strong opinions which can be amusing if somewhat controversial - he rips into Linux kernel developers and says provocative stuff like OSX is Unix for the desktop why bother with anything else :slight_smile:

You should listen to them if you haven’t already: http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/traffic.libsyn.com/jnite/bsd-0181.mp3