TrueNAS VLAN Setup

Hey all, trying to figure out how to set up my TrueNAS instance to get an IP from the VLAN address range (192.168.150.0) instead of the default LAN range (182.168.1.0). Even thought I have set up the VLAN on OpnSense and the TL-SG108E managed switch I have hooked up to it, it seems to always use the DHCP server from the regular LAN, not the VLAN. I feel like theres something obvious I’m missing, but I can’t figure it out. Any suggestions?

Looks more like an opnsense/isolation issue, rathern than an IP issue. TrueNas should not see vlan1, if it is on vlan3

Never used it, but if ports 1-3 are used by both vlan1 and vlan3, could opnsense be doing fun stuff with the traffic? Does it break the system to tag ports 4–8 as vlan1 and 1-3 as vlan3?

Unless you want the devices in vlan3 to have access to both vlans?

So vlan1 ports 1-3 “not members” and ports4-8 “untagged” or tagged
Vlan3 ports 1-3 tagged/untagged, ports 4-8 “not members”

This might lock access on the wrong port, so double check first, unless I am just plain wrong, and you already tried this

Also, looks like when it IS working, you’ll need to enable dhcp on each clan, and firewall rules to allow internet access.
Looks like a good writeup:

The last grey box about copying default rules looks apropo, as the TrueNas box may be reaching out to the default vlan for an IP, instead of the severvlan

In your TL-SG108E you need to set the PVID for the TrueNAS port to the desired VLAN.

1 Like

Huh, not OP, but thanks dude, that’s handy to know…
Seen a comment:

if the port has VLAN 3 untagged, then you must also set its PVID to 3 as well. Basically, if your switch has them as separate settings, then “untagged vlan” is for output and “PVID” is for input, and they should always match. (It’s not an IP subnet ID; the switch doesn’t care about that.)

On

1 Like

nerco-ing my own post lol
does port 1 not need to have a PVID set? can it still be untagged?

It depends?
The way you set up the switch (ports 1-3 are trunked for both VLANs, if you didn’t change the pvid it defaults to 1) it will be up to true as to configure itself properly in order to access one or the other vlan. The base interface will be on vlan1 then if you want vlan3 you need to add a vlan in truenas as well…

If you want to limit truenas to vlan3 you need to set the port on the switch to untagged on vlan3, set the pvid to 3 and disable vlan1 on that port…

1 Like