Truenas usb enclosure

So my issue is that truenas only detect ones hdd of my 5 bay direct attached storage. I went onto truenas forum and they are very elitist. They wont answer and say I am stupid for trying to use a usb nas. Thing is I have all 8 bays of my nas filled up so i am trying to expand with addition usb enclosure.

Anyways truenas is only detecting one of the 5 drives. I had them previously in a synology. So I know they still work.

Any idea?

I am using the above model. It has built in raid, but I am running it without raid. So basic disks.

So proxmox detects it. Strange.

im having the same issue, did you work it out yet?

I’m not sure I would go as far and say they’re very elitist because you’re not getting the answer you want. USB is a poor choice for continuous/permanent storage in general due to reliability issues but it can work. Have any of you tried using eSATA instead? SATA PM (Serial ATA port multiplier) which I assume it uses may not however be supported by all controllers. From what I recall Intel don’t and only some AMD do, ASMedia controllers also works fine in most cases.

1 Like

They also daid proxmox is buggy and has sevre defects and yet i have never had an issue with it.

They want it the right way or no way at all.
If you are okay with some risk and not being 100% uptime, it can work fine.
I run Windows as host os and then Truenas as a VM and pass in the drives.
Been working fine for me.