TrueNAS Scale updates fail, help appreciated

Hi, I’m running TrueNAS scale as a result of the Forbidden Router v2 series. I’m not actually running the ‘forbidden router’ itself, but rather some very vanilla VMs and containers. Everything works fine, with the exception of TrueNAS scale’s updates. Currently I’m manually downloading and patching it… but it’s not convenient.

Below are some things that might be helpful to identify the issue:

• My skill level: beginner
  • Signal chain: Fiber optic ISP > Fiber box > Router (Mikrotik 1100AHx4) > Switch (Mikrotik CSS326) > Intel NIC on server
  • FreeNAS Scale version: TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4
  • Internet access for VMs+container: working perfectly
  • Error on the update screen (attached)

Have you configured a static IP address? If so, did you set up DNS servers and gateway?

Hi MadMatt,
I have reserved a static IP address for the host, and other IP addresses for each of the VMs. These are being assigned properly. This was done in IP>DHCP Server>Leases of RouterOS (Mikrotik)

For DNS, I’m using the internal IP of the VM running PiHole. It’s setup up in the IP>DHCP Server>Networks portion of RouterOS (Mikrotik). This is being picked up well by other devices in my network and working properly to the best of my knowledge.

The gateway is also setup in IP>DHCP Server>Networks portion of RouterOS (Mikrotik) section as 192.XXX.XXX.1.

Happy to provide screenshots or any other info that may help out.

NTP servers were configured as such:

NTP Servers

|Address|Burst|IBurst|Prefer|Min Poll|Max Poll|
|0.debian.pool.ntp.org|false|true|false|6|10|
|1.debian.pool.ntp.org|false|true|false|6|10|
|2.debian.pool.ntp.org|false|true|false|6|10|
|us.pool.ntp.org|false|true|false|6|10|

as a test, try downloading an APP package and see if that works on the TrueNAS scale install.

@Zedicus I was not able to update the catalog to download an APP this time around, but have done in the past to install Jellyfin.

• can you ping google.com from a shell,?
  • If so, Try bypassing pihole/ make sure it’s not blacklisting traffic to the ix servers…

Edit: pugile instead of pihole …

1 Like

Also ping a real world ip address, like 4.2.2.2 this will help eliminate dns vs potential firewall issues.

Thanks @MadMatt @Zedicus . I tried:

ping -c 3 google.com // “name or service not known”
ping -c 3 4.2.2.2 // seems to work fine, 3 transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss
google DNS instead of pihole // same error

Also looked at logs for pihole, pool.ntp.org responded as OK a few days ago (assuming this means pihole isn’t blocking it)… yet the update doesn’t seem to have worked either.

I just tried to stop and start the ntp date service, and for some magical reason it worked again… using PiHole on, and having restored all firewall rules…

Seems like the system clock also gained a minute or so, not sure if that could be related?

Thanks for your help!!!

1 Like

actually yes. that is a known issue (feature?) if the time is off truenas will not connect to the mother ship. usually it is caused by a DNS issue though. i have not seen NTP its self hang before.

1 Like