TrueNAS SCALE, Tailscale (subnet routing) OPNsense & remote access to Docker Apps/TrueCharts Apps

I am confused when it comes to the following:

1. The best way to run apps, either via Truecharts or in a Debian VM with docker compose or in a Debian VM with Portainer ala the post with ongoing comments in depth here TrueNAS Scale: Ultimate Home Setup incl. Tailscale ??
  2. Is Tailscale subnet routing required to access apps in Truecharts/Docker/VM ? If so, am I installing the Tailscale client with subnet routing enabled on OPNsense or Tailscale or where?
  3. For Tailscale remote access, do I need to have NAT-PMP enabled per Tailscale documentation as I was able to access my OPNsense and TrueNAS Scale WebGUI from my phone the other day and now I cannot despite both being connected.
  4. Should I be installing the Tailscale client from the CLI or the Truecharts app on TrueNAS SCALE ? I have both installed and both show up.
  5. Would you recommend a reverse proxy with CrowdSec installed on Linode or DigitalOcean <----> another reverse proxy on OPNsense (or pfSense) to securely route traffic & is this OPNsense/HAproxy guide “the way” or do others have experience and can recommend a setup or preferred proxy for someone new to this setup? Is a domain and subdomains at Cloudflare preferred?
    I like these posts but I am too new to this… hence my questions.
    WireGuard HAProxy Gateway :: Blog :: TheOrangeOne
    Exposing your Homelab :: Blog :: TheOrangeOne

Help me be great…

Hello and welcome to the Forum!
I’m not an expert like some people here, but I can share from my experience. I have 2 setups of TrueNAS, one at work and one at home. As you can read from the last few posts in the thread in your first question, I also tested a few methods of deploying services.

I can confirm that running natively without kuberenetes but with portainer from docker-compose is much faster and easier to manage. However, like my recent post there, I did run into an issue with virtual machines not seeing the network, and I am trying to figure out the connection.

Another thing I noticed with TrueCharts is when TrueNAS catalogs the apps from there, the CPU usage skyrockets for a few minutes. And that happens once a day or more.

Regarding the rest of the questions, I am not that far along on my journey, so I’ll let other people answer those.