TrueNAS SCALE server crashing (suspected Kernel Panic)

I have a home server setup with TrueNAS SCALE as the host OS.
System specs:
Ryzen 5950X, ASUS B550 ProArt, 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC, 2x 120GB SSD (Boot), 2x 2TB SSD (for VMs), 2x 16TB HDD (storage), Radeon RX6500XT (for host), Intel Arc A750 (for media server VM), Seasonic PX 850

I have 3 VMs on this server. one for random services (Ubuntu 22.04), one for Minecraft servers (Ubuntu 22.04) and one for Jellyfin (Ubuntu 23.10) with Arc A750 passed through to it

Problem:
Sometimes when I try to start playing something on Jellyfin, instead of start playing the entire host would just crash and reboot. I suspect that there is a kernel panic happening but I don’t have physical access to the device and kdump isn’t setup by default on TrueNAS SCALE.

All help is appreciated.

Is something preventing you from simply installing kdump and reproducing the issue?

I cannot use apt even as root

Oh sorry I am not so familiar with TrueNAS. Google-fu suggests you should be able to chmod +x apt. I believe the target should be /bin/apt* or /usr/bin/apt* depending how old your installation is.

See here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/truenas/comments/toyrkn/truenas_scale_reenable_aptget/

Then you should be able to install kdump.

Maybe take a look to see the current perms set on apt before you do this, so you can restore things once you’re done diagnosing the kernel issue. It looks like this is not recommended for TrueNAS (I hate the imposition of TrueNAS developer opinions like this - you built it on linux so just leave apt well enough alone!).

I tried setting up kdump but all the changes to config files got overwritten after a reboot