TrueNas Scale link Aggregation

Hey all.

I’ve got a TrueNas Scale server hooked up to my unmanaged 5 port switch in the house that tops out at 1GbE. It works like a charm but sadly it isn’t fast enough for all the editing on the PC that is also connected to the switch. I was looking at getting 10GbE expansion cards (2nd hand) for the server & PC to connect them directly to each other to enable 10GbE connectivity to the PC via Cat 6 or a SFP+ connection.

What option would be the best here? Looking to keep it cost effective

1. PC connected to the server via a dedicated 10GbE line but also keeping it connected to the switch for general internet traffic with some sort of TrueNas filtering magic
  2. Connect the PC directly to the server and create a passthrough for all traffic that’s not needed (Doubt this is possible though)
  3. Get a managed switch but also connect the PC and server directly
  4. Just get a better switch…

Many thanks for all info!

This, no magic needed, just set up the 10Gb links with a different (static) IP and use that to access the NAS shares …

Getting a better switch is the most “plug and play” - a 6 port switch with 2 10Gb and 4 2,5G is less than $200. Option 1 is of course cheaper…

Note that 10Gb adapters tend to use older PCIe generations and need at least a x4 and possibly x8 lane for the card which may be a challenge depending on what else you have in your machines.

I’ll try that, thanks!

Just to be clear (having re-read I may cause confusion - doh!), I meant new switch and adapters in the machines. Then the only issue is installation and cabling, rather than network config on the NAS and PC.

I got you :slight_smile: I think I even know exactly which switch you are talking about and sounds like a good deal, 10GbE to the NAS/PC with the rest going to the router and other PCs that are less frequently abused. I’ll look into it as it might be worth a upgrade, but I’ll scavenge the 2nd hand market first.

Thanks for your input :slight_smile: