Truenas scale kubernetes docker help (pods)

So I have been struggling to get a app in truenas working. I used truecharts jellyfin and connected it to tailscale. So tailscale and jellyfin are in a pod. The issue is the host name changes ever restart. So tailscale recognizes it as a new computer. so i have to re approve it.

Is it possible to set a static hostname or pod name?

I haven’t tried it, but everything I’ve heard about the clustering features in Scale makes them sound kind of half baked.

If it were me I’d be tempted to use DHCP as my hammer and do a static mapping at the router.

1 Like

I spent over a year learning docker. kubernetes sucks in comparison. I have no idea where to start. I feel so lost. All I want is the pod with tailscale and jellyfin to stay the same on every restart. This way tailscale recognizes the connection as already being approved.

1 Like

looks like Wendell created a docker just for tailscale, then shared the connection from that to other dockers(?) and the lan and stuff?

rather than each container separately connecting

does that sound about right?

1 Like

The thing is I can do that. I just want to separate the vpn connections. Like jellyfin accessible by friends and family, but nextcloud or vaultwarden only by me. trying to make each docker have a tailscale connection seemed like a straightforward way. it works i just have to constantly reapprove jellyfin if i restart it.

is it the container that creates a new hostname?

or the system gives it one?

truenas is doing something to give it a unique name every time. like jellyfin-0943das or jellyfin-0aaa9f

1 Like

I’d try connecting to the container when it’s running and doing an ifconfig to see if it’s getting a new mac address also.

2 Likes

seems odd. different ip because random mac makes sense, but should not affect hostname.

hostname for each new instance of jellyfin / docker container, kinda makes sense, but should be able to sticky a custom name, instead of a randomised one?

Exactly what I want.

https://truecharts.org/manual/Quick-Start%20Guides/06-linking-apps/

That says page not found? Truecharts site has half the documentation missing. So I am not sure what to do.

the scale guide talks about Kubernetes, not docker.

Am I looking at the wrong trunas, should it be core?

okay, so checking felixthecat’s blog on Our Forum, looks like one can launch docker things from the custom launch menu…

I guess that is the one you followed… back in the day

can you find…

https://truecharts.org/docs/manual/guides/vpn-setup

the page for VPN’s, looks like whole truenas vpn.

I am gonna go on their discord.

1 Like

I dunno, gonna go sleep, but sympathise, it looks like head scratcher.

I did see a random reddit post, suggesting one can set a hostname.

if this is the case, you could make a systemd unit to start a job to rename host each boot / time /whenever? if it even works…

sudo scutil --set HostName jellyfin

good luck with it man.

According to official Truechart support there is no way of doing it. F.

“Nope, pods are generated every time you scale up and down the app or reboot”

1 Like

Segment/isolate/vlan off the vault warden bit pods then?

1 Like