Truenas high load and heat with single gzip-9 upload?

Hi all !
Sorry quick and maybe dumb question, but is it normal that my Truenas can’t handle a single big upload on a gzip-9 compressed dataset ?

CPU load is through the roof, never encounter this before on this server. And the motherboard is now yelling at me because the CPU is over 80°C with the cpu fan at 3000RPM.
Screenshot from 2024-01-12 19-14-48

The power usage of the nas increased by a 100 W.

It’s a NAS i had for years ! I rarely upload big raw file to this compressed partition but this is really unexpected to me.
I’ve clean it… Last year ? so it shouldn’t be that…

Is this expected ? Or did i fuck up somewhere ?

Upload is fluctuating between 80 and 260 mbps.

gzip-9 is very slow so your performance regression is to be expected

Slow write i get it, but 100% on all core, and overheating … that look very odd to me

It’s threaded and overheating is due to insufficient cooling, it’s not a software related issue in general unless you have something that forces fans to spin down.

I deff build the server to be silent, meaning that it can handle it’s everyday load without any issue, and 3 time that if needed… but not to handle a 100% sustained load…
Server don’t gently throttle like laptop do… i don’t know if there is a flag to add to limit gzip-9 cpu load…

Stop using gzip-9, use something like zstd-3 or zstd-4 if you data is uncompressed otherwise you’re just wasting cycles on essentially nothing.

This dataset is for ultra long term backup of data i will never need.
I would be ok for data to take 10x the time to be written in there no issue, but i need it to be highly compressed, especially since it’s mostly full disk img. that i never access again.

The compression chosen make sense. The fact that enabling it bring the nas down doesn’t.

A user submitted process should not put the OS of an appliance to it’s knee. It need to be limited to keep some overhead for other task.