[TrueNAS Core] Reinstalling with existing pools - scared!

Hey all, I am genuinely worried - so I just want to sanity check before I go ahead and destroy terabytes of data…

My TrueNAS won’t boot, and I think my last option is to reinstall it and then upload the config file.

My plan is to follow these steps:

1. Already have a config file ready;
  2. RUFUS TrueNAS Core onto a UBS stick;
  3. Boot NAS from USB and install TrueNAS on the existing SSD - overwriting the previous NAS install;
  4. Once inside TrueNAS upload the config file from a USB stick;
  5. Look happy as all my drives come back online and all my data is once more available.

Are there any steps I am missing? Should I be unplugging all the drives when I do the install? Should I plug them all back in and then boot into it?

Is there anything I need to do to stop myself destroying all my data?

Any help greatly appreciated!

If you’re worried about overwriting any of your data drives, then yes, unplug them.

Before first boot, reconnect your drives.

If you have a backup of your config, do not import your pool. Just restore your config and your pool should import at next boot.

Ok cheers, so my steps are:

1. Already have a config file ready;
  2. RUFUS TrueNAS Core onto a UBS stick;
    2.1 Unplug all the drives;
  3. Boot NAS from USB and install TrueNAS on the existing SSD - overwriting the previous NAS install;
    3.1 before reboot - plug in all the drives;
  4. Once inside TrueNAS upload the config file from a USB stick;
  5. Look happy as all my drives come back online and all my data is once more available.

Is that correct, sorry to be so overly careful, but this is a lot of data and I would really rather not lose it!

(post deleted by author)

Thank you!

I think Peace of Mind says, let’s just see if it works on a clean install with no drives. If I can get to that point then perhaps bringing in the drives and the config file should be ok.

Thanks all sorry to be a pain.

Once you’re up and running, I suggest you start thinking about your backup strategy.

(post deleted by author)