TrueNAS Core - is it possible to move a pool from one machine to another without having to restart replication from scratch?

Hello all!

Any help that avoids me having to do a fresh replication is welcome! :slight_smile:

So I have:

Tower 1 - Xeon CPU
Tower 2 - i3-9100

Tower 1 has (among other pools) a pool (mirrored pair) that receives snapshot backups from an ‘always on’ TrueNAS instance. Tower 2 receives snapshots from Tower 1.

Is it possible to physically move the mirrored pair from Tower 1 to Tower 2 without having to restart the replication from fresh?

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, just export the pool(s) first.

2 Likes

Like @drbsg said, zpool export tank on old machine, then zpool import on new machine.

It should try to honour mounting structure that it had before, which might be fun if the last one was set up tobmount stuff in /home/tower1computeruser/movies
And if new computer has different user names, the datasets might need to have different mountpoints set.

Also permissions Might need to be changed maybe, if differing usernames

And automatic transfers would need to be freshly set-up

But the simple export/imports by pool name should be simple across even BSD and Linux, that bit is fine

1 Like

Cheers dizzy :+1:

Thank you too @Trooper_ish :+1:

The perms are exactly the same on both machines, which I hope will help.

So it’ll just be a case of re-setting up the replications, BUT I won’t necessarily have to start from fresh when it comes to replication?

It’s around 2TB, so not the end of the world, I’m just trying to get usable life out the array…living costs, etc.! :wink:

It’s a shame that there’s not a way of exporting/importing just the snapshot/replication/smart/scrub settings, so a pool can be moved and no re-setting up is needed. May be it is, but I expect it would take longer to do, than just fresh config!

1 Like