Trouble with Ryzen B450 Build

I am building a friend his second custom machine. He is upgrading from a Sandy Bridge system. The parts list is as follows:
MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard
AMD 2600x CPU
Samsung EVO 970 m.2 ssd
G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW memory
EVGA Supernova 650 G3 power supply
Graphics is an XFX 480 as a placeholder

The trouble I’m having with the build is that I can’t get it to power on at all. I’ve returned the first motherboard, another Tomahawk, and now the second is doing the same thing. I’ve tried a power supply of my own that I know works. I have tested the EVGA power supply on an old computer I have, and it works. I have tried the power button on the case, and I have tried to jump the power switch pins on the mobo. I have tried one stick of memory and the other. I have double checked all connections. I have tried to power the board with no other components installed, just the board and it didn’t even light up.
Here’s the rub. I attempted to update the UEFI/BIOS using the BIOSflashback button and USB port. There was no BIOSflashback LED light, but the light on the flash drive was blinking.
So, no action on startup whatsoever. But, it seems that ATX power is available?

Thoughts?

1 Like

Fun fact - there seems to be some interesting incompatibility between 480 and the mid range AMD boards. I have xfx480 and Asrock B350 Pro4 and similar issues, and I have heard of other problems with 480 and Ryzen B chipsets …
For a start try different ram stick, cause it’s MSI and they tend to be crap.
If not - just consider different GPU, be it 570 or 580 or 590 or whatever…

2 Likes

I didn’t even connect the GPU with the new board. So, that’s not the issue. I may not have been entirely clear with the problem? It’s not that it won’t POST. It won’t power on at all. No lights, no fan spin, no biosflashback. I’ve tried switching out both sticks of ram one for the other in single dimm config. I’ve even tried to power the board without any components (cpu, memory, ssd) connected at all. It should at least show lights and spinning fans with error lights before powering back down. Nothing, nadda, zilch. Because this is the second board of the same model, I figure it has to be something aside from the board. I could be wrong.

I have spoken with MSI tech support and it was decided that the second board was also bad. I will have a third B450 Tomahawk in the next couple days. The plan is to attempt to power it first without adding anything to see if it responds in any way.

I’m on the third motherboard and second cpu. Still having the exact same problem. Can anybody help with this? I’m at a complete loss on this one and there is a not significant amount of money involved for my friend.

Is the CPU OK?
I’m not entirely sure the system will even power with a bad CPU…

I double checked the second cpu for bent/missing pins before I installed it. This one has me at a loss. This latest motherboard is more promising in my eyes because the bios flashback led lights up. Smh

That is beyond weird…
It persistent throughout multiple motherboards, power supplies and configurations?
Think back… Is there anything you haven’t tested ?
Cause basically you replaced everything and the issue should be gone…

Solved!
To my dismay, and as you can imagine, it was trouble with the organic interface.
I misread the motherboard and was attempting to connect the front panel to the com port. This is the biggest dunce move I have made since forgetting my machine was powered on and trying to connect a pcie card.

The machine is up and running with a modest 4.1ghz OC and going strong.

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

How’s the Arctic fan doing?
They look good, but on paper they aren’t that great…
Mainly the noise is what I’m asking…

In that case it’s not bad. When it gets up to around 60% it’s noticeable if you’re right next to it. From around 60%-100% there isn’t much difference in sound to my ear.
I stuck a pretty aggressive fan profile on it to top out the cpu at 80c while stress testing. I wouldn’t use this cooler on anything more than this cpu if you’re overclocking.
It was my first Ryzen OC and I was surprised how fast it jumped from 70-80c.

1 Like

I was asking about the fan, cause I want to replace all my case fans and those look pretty good.
I run a couple F12 Arctic fans and they are perfection for the 4euros a pop I gave for them.

I’ve replaced a couple fans with the f12’s and have been satisfied with noise, performance, and longevity.

Arctic F12 give you 6 years warranty, so theres that…
The new p12 and bionix or whatever give you 10 years warranty, but I think they are noisier…