Tried discord yesterday. Wow

I like it. It has a simple interface, servers are a one setup deal. Audio is WAY better. I love it. It seems like they took a lot of notes from teamspeak and made a better system. My love for teamspeak is still there though and I prefer it I think, but its a cool system nonetheless.

Does anyone here use it? I'm surprised the tek guys haven't opened a server for the forum users yet.

1 Like

I switched from Skype to Discord and took my friends with me (better: I got them to move aswell).

1 Like

I like discord as well, but they're privacy policy is iffy.

At least they tell you what might happen to your data!

Yep I use it. Its very good for group chat, especially setting it up for my noob friends that just got to pc via the browser link.
The drop in stuff is cool, and I like the individual rooms for games/ things. I doubt it would happen, but it would be cool if we had a community discord, or something of the likes to chat and such (besides this amazing forum).

I think a thread covered it a while back, if I remember right, the complaint was about the ownership by Time Warner, but other than that I like it. I use slack, that pretty much has similar features.

Browsed around on their web site. I really could not find out how they make money, which is usually a bad thing. At least Skype and TeamSpeak sell paid features (in the case of TeamSpeak you have to host yourself), so their income structure is at least a bit clearer.

Anyone got any idea how these guys pay their bills?

Quote from https://discordapp.com/company :"We've raised over $30,000,000 from top VCs in the valley like Greylock, Benchmark, and Tencent. In other words, we’ll be around for a while."
Then there is the store: https://merch.discordapp.com

they definitely collect a lot of info. It's pretty much no different than google chat for privacy / anonymity.

Thanks. So it could very well be - just like WhatsApp - that they are free for now, and will come with paid features eventually. I think that is a business model which is OK. They might still collect and sell stuff of course, but who doesn't nowadays...

I REALLY like discord, it's light, modern, and easy to use. That and quality is top notch.

But the business behind it is a little shady, TimeWarner is on the list unfortunately.

1 Like

We use teamspeak cause of the plugins, that and we can change our themes easily. We play arma 3 modded which needs either task force radio or acre2. Discord does looks "pretty" but it doesn't support what we need, plus we have to re-train/setup the thing for our clan and that's a pain.

My two cents is discord is only appealing to the audience that's not already using VOIP applications like teamspeak...skype doesn't count, I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot poll.

There is no privacy hence it's hosted for free.

Recently learned that the hard way. They have no backup security if you lose your 2 fac keys and if you do? Fuck you we'll never help you and we don't care!

Boy what a grand business where you're fucked.

That's what your backup codes are for.

1 Like

Aremis likes something? That's new.

1 Like

I think he hates it now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I briefly tried it when half-beard took the forums down. Wasn't that impressed really. In fact I found it to be a bit of a mess.

It's a good replacement for fucking trash Steam voice chat. Not as in depth and customizable as team speak but I use it a good bit.

1 Like

I'll continue to prefer teamspeak.