Transform a broken laptop into a server?

There’s a lot of “turn a broken laptop into a computer”, but what about turning it into a small server? I was looking on ebay now and you can get a broken Dell Precision 7530 that boots for $55 plus shipping. That’s a Xeon E-2176M 6C/12T that can do 64GB ecc ddr4. If you’re lazy you run disks on the two usb 3.1 ports or the thunderbolt 3, if you’re not you can get m.2 to pcie or sata adapters, it should be able to handle 12 sata disks (3x m.2 x4 pcie lanes each). Again, if you’re lazy you just throw it inside a box and cut a hole for the network cable, if you’re not you can mount it on a plate of some kind so you can use it as a normal motherboard. There’s even holes you can use for the cpu cooler. You’ll have to take the power for the disks from somewhere else though.

3 Likes

Kinda like having laptops barrel/proprietary plug, and a small PSU to accommodate HDDs
Then needing some lead/sync connection, between the two [maybe at its front panel?]

lazily slides shoebox PC with USB powered SSD into the shadows

Looks like a fun build!

2 Likes

I have 2 old ass Dell Latitude E6530s running proxmox + a dell precision on the side with WOL enabled for when I need to migrate running VMs over for updates.

Also have another Dell E6530 running as an application server for various things like itunes.

1 Like