TPM Modules, Oh joy!

I’m a bit more optimistic here. Unlike Apple, MSFT, may not be able to just do something like remove audio jacks (in terms of impact), but as long as they keep things on a slow steady space (such as here where they required OEMs to have TPM years ago) I feel like it won’t be such a big hurdle.

Corporate environments already by and large have TPM due to using OEMs and system integrators and security requirements, so the real hurdle here is most likely just the average consumer base.

And I fully expect MSFT to work tightly with enterprise customers to roll them over into W11, even if they do have issues. Likely that’s why W10 support is going to be as long as it is.

Don’t deny the e-waste accusation, but, I assert again, if MSFT wants to modernize this all had to start happening at some point and it was always going to cause a mess of things.

1 Like

Oh boy, this is going to be a gigantic headache for the VFIO community. TPM 2.0 doesn’t even work properly in vtpm yet.

Apple has had T2 as their “TPM” for a while, so Apple Silicon may be the lesser of 2 evils to the average joe forced to upgrade. (Developers already hate T2, but they’ve hated T2 for years.)

Ahem. Ameliorated.

Russian Windows thought of this.

1 Like

Well, looks like TPM modules are the new hardware fingerprinter for tracking and telemetry. Seems to be heading this direction.

With the mandatoryness of this, it looks like those game publishers that embrace more telemetry and hardware fingerprinting are taking advantage of the fact to receive Windows Updates, there has to be a TPM 2.0 module.

We are finally living 1984.

2 Likes

Source or just guess? Honestly TPM game banning for hackers sounds nice

“Microsoft will continue to support at least one release of Windows 10 Semi-Annual Channel until October 14, 2025”
Thats 4 years from now, gives linux a ton of time to step up their game. With Steam pushing that linux handheld might not matter at that point.

1 Like

its your choice i guess. allow them to fingerprint your hardware.
but understand this wont just be used for games and anti cheat.
all your media will be fingerprinted to your device eventually and will probably impact selfsharing your own purchased media particularly.
once you allow it by turning it on pretty much anyone with drm will be able to add a hash to your system that will only allow that media to play on that system.

the hope is you will turn it on and not realise till its to late.
they (new media/big tech) will incentivise you to do so with things like anti cheat.
but really they need you to turn it on for drm/profit reasons not to improve your gaming K’D ratio.

just remember though. tpm1 was cracked and cracked quickly. Engineer shows how to crack a 'secure' TPM chip -- GCN
tpm2 will likely suffer the same fate with any luck.

so yeah i wont be in any hurry coz.
not a fan.
and would suggest you all look into its possible abuses of it by copyright holders before you decided to enable it.

2 Likes

I mean that assumes I play media with drm, with how crappy it is to play Blu-ray media its not even worth it. I could see issues with Netflix/Prime/HBO etc, but I dont really sub to any of them, I just purchase my own media.

Yeah might take longer I would guesss

2 Likes

I’m not subscribing to CPU ID 2: Revenge of the Corpos.

1 Like

it depends. if the 3 letter agencies haven’t stuck there noses in to make sure the encryption is just slightly off.
it might take a while… :wink:

in 5 years when win 10 goes EOL, if it hasnt broke you will have no choice but to turn it on; is my guess.
yes theres linux.
but unless nvidia and amd push there priority’s to linux, the driver support will stay as flaky as ever.

edit mar 2023…
and its broken… tpm2 malware is out in the wild.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.