TPM Modules, Oh joy!

So does does this mean your activation key is locked to the TPM, as long as I can take it out and put it in a another board and transfer my windows activation over I’d be cool with that, I mean I’d have to actually purchase windows for the first time in my life but as long as it’s as easy as an activator and I keep my license no matter how many times I reinstall

But in the real world that’s probably unlikely

Ah, now I get it. True - software implementation of the TPM-functionality - meaning my previous “firmware” definition is relevant. It’s back to the old discussion of hardware versus software implementation of things :).

The jinx part was only part of my bad English late at night, apologies.

On oem builds the key is in the hardware so no issue, on self builds the key can be added to your Microsoft account so it just follows you. I’ve rebuild machines and reinstalled windows 10 several times and have never had to bother with a key because of this.

2 Likes

Cool, even if it needed reactivation, as long as it boots and logs in, the registering new mobo is the bit I was concerned about.

Wasn’t sure if it would refuse to even load if the tpm check did not match.

And OEM boards would come with a new license on a replacement board (tied to the board) so no dramas there

It’s the digital license. Apparently these would require reactivation on things like a lot her oats changing but you can also tie the license to an account and as far as I can tell doing so allows you to do thing that like changing motherboards without needing reactivation.
Not exactly sure what the limitations are but I have a 10 pro license attached to my account and it’s gone through at least two full PC builds without issue

Well let’s relativize… first, not everyone is going to switch to Windows 11 on day one. When 10 came out, I was still running 7. Skipped 8 and 8.1 entirely. The vast majority of people don’t change their OS just because a new one comes out. So the demand for TPM’s will likely be spread over several years. That might give the industry some time to make lots of cheap ones.

Because let’s face it : Windows has become free. I haven’t paid more than 1 Euro for a license in years. No one has. If you tell people they now need to spend hundreds on a component that does not improve performance in any way… just so you can run better Microsoft spyware… you’re looking at a commercial flop.

I think it’s even possible they’ll drop the TPM requirement altogether.

1 Like

I wish M$ would just stick with efficiency like they did with 8/8.1. All this “directX12 ultimate” nonsense when back then they were actually focused on making directX 11 better through the 11.1 and 11.2 revisions allowing GPU memory to offload to ram. Other cool things like removing bloat and rendering the UI on the GPU instead of the CPU like win 7.

Windows 11 so far looks like they’re adding a ton of background processes that will almost certainly slow down existing hardware. As it is I have to slim down windows 10 considerably and disable several software overlays like gameDVR and nvidia Ansel to get my original FPS in games on my haswell PC.

Although I’d like to be proven wrong; maybe they’ve slimmed down 11 so much that they can spare these machine learning background processes. And maybe a lot of it is processed over the cloud as well

Regarding licenses; are 3rd party OEM licenses stored on the motherboard as well? Or only windows keys that are shipped with the mobo?

1 Like

Only keys shipped with the board. If you want any other key to travel with you without intervention you need to attach your key to your Microsoft account

1 Like

On the leaked preview build of windows11 there is indeed a workaround for the tpm debacle.
However ¨if¨ that would still be possible in the final release is yet to be seen.
Microsoft also stated that you need to have supported hardware,
which means intel 8 series or AMD Ryzen 2000 series or newer cpu’s for Windows11 to run.
I’m not sure in which manner they are going to force that.
But it will ultimately mean that hardware from pré 2017 is going to be considered obsolete.
I kinda doubt that Microsoft is going this far, but it would make sense if they force tpm2.
But if those hardware requirements are going to be a must in order to install windows11.
Then that would mean allot of e-waste in 2025.

1 Like

Windows 11 does not exist yet.

This topic should need nothing more at this point. You can’t buy it and as a custom builder that most of us are here, jumping to a new OS is rarely smooth, just try to remember the start of Win10, or 8 or Vista or… you get the picture.

Sure you might need one eventually, but right now it is something that still might and is likely to change as Microsoft don’t make their money on us, they make it on large businesses upgrading and those people still have PCs from before XP around. I would be beyond surprised if the requirement remains an actual requirement by the time of mass release, it will like ly be qualified, astisked or otherwise bypassed in an official capacity.

For now, calm down, relax, just forget about it and maybe worry about… literally anything else!

Yeah i personally don’t really care about it yet.
We will see when it’s going to be released to masses.
But i just picked an item that popped up on a few news sites according to it.
Which seems to be based on statements from MS themselves, for what that is worth.
Since this topic was about the tpm module requirement.

Ah yes

The trash platform monocle

Ugh

That reason up there is probably why they won’t do it

Outside of Enterprise / Higher security use, WhyTF would they even bother such a [TPM] mandate?

If this does become the norm, I could forsee motherboard manufacturers or CPU makers including or integrating a TPM module into their new hardware just so that they can slap that “Compatible with Windows 11” sticker on the box.

Might suck for people that have older hardware and love to hold out as long as possible, but chances are most folks around here would upgrade their hardware before Windows 10 EOL.

1 Like

It is a brave new world. and my board supports tpm support by default via cpu.

I kinda like the fact that MSFT is going forward with security first mindset, going forward. I know TPM is devicive, but I’m in support of MSFT pulling an Apple and not being afraid of leaving some users behind or forcing people to adapt in order to keep things moving in a more modern direction.

Legacy support has been this giant weight on Windows for decades. I’m ready to see it finally dropped to the way side. Sucks to be part of the group that has to swallow these kinds of changes, but someone had to at some point.

Also, TPM is already an industry improvement in many areas and has been required by OEMs for years, so it’s not like this came from nowhere or is just here to hurt us.

Seems like MSFT is on a trajectory to simplify their various versions support and distill things down to a core, universal kernel. Something that has been discussed for years now.

So does this mean pirating software on Win11 (or pirating Win11 itself) may become potentially harder in the future?

Currently it looks like there’s no meaningful difference in various performance benchmarks. Windows 11 vs. Windows 10 Performance: Gaming and Applications | TechSpot

Basically room temperature matters more.

1 Like

I would never pirate software on windows. The built-in antivirus is actively scanning your entire file system and relaying it back to M$ servers… Who also knows who you are because windows has access to your machine ID (don’t think you’re getting around that with a cracked CD key that isn’t traced to you)

Basically you’re putting yourself on an NSA watchlist using windows to pirate software. Very bad practice in this political environment.

Just saying this because I want to prevent harm being done in the future

1 Like

Its a nice idea but legacy support is what Microsoft has built their entire image on for decades now. Its not that they can’t change that, but that it will be such a huge change and people will just continue using the version that works for them. Unlike apple, Microsoft don’t have the complete control over almost every aspect or the hardware and software, they can’t just force change the same way, their userbase will not stand for it.

Again like my reply above this does not really apply to us who build our own, but to the massive corporate user base on typically older hardware and using even older software with odd dependencies.

The worst part of all of this is in their assured-to-be-a-mess attempt to be like a company they are not they will generate vast quantities of e-waste compounding the problem of chip shortages.